1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help please

Discussion in 'Networking' started by chrissie2, Jul 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. chrissie2

chrissie2 Thread Starter

My Husband reinstalled his computer and now cant get connected to the internet, He has a belkin wireless router and uses a network adaptor that fits into the hub on his lap top. The adaptor flashes green like its connected but he cant get onto the internet at all. I am not sure its recieving a signal but is giving one out. Any ideas how it can be fixed? Thankyou. OH it was fine before he reinstalled windows.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Did he install the same adapter driver as before? Does it show in Device Manager as OK? Is he using the adapter's utility or Windows' WZC, and is the other utility NOT running? With whichever utility can he view his network? Is the network encrypted?

As for "Any ideas how it can be fixed?", the answers to the above will give some clues, but I probably forgot several questions.

3. chrissie2

chrissie2 Thread Starter

Hi thanks for the reply, Belkin is showing up in the device manager and its showing up as ok I got it the wrong way round and its sending but not recieving, he is going mad lol

4. 24giovanni

24giovanni Banned

can you ping anything?

5. chrissie2

chrissie2 Thread Starter

sorry I am a bit ilitarate when it comes to computers what does ping mean and how do you do it?

6. 24giovanni

24giovanni Banned

start>run type cmd which will open a DOS window. At the command prompt type IPCONFIG which will give you your IP address. Then type ping ###.###.##.### being whatever number is listed to the right of the IP address. You should see 4 replys. If you get that you have internal connectivity. If successful with that type PING www.yahoo.com and you should see something similar for results.

7. chrissie2

chrissie2 Thread Starter

Ok thankyou, now he can get the internet with a big long wire that is attatched to the router and then to the back of his lap top, but he cant get the internet on the belkin adaptor plugged into his usb hub, could it be a problem with the adaptor. That was good advice by the way thanks.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/487843

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice