1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help please!

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by srb1, Jul 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. srb1

srb1 Thread Starter

Hi there. I'm on Windows Vista, using Windows Movie Maker. Everything is working fine until I try to add videos. This error message occurs:

"The file '??.MOV' cannot be imported because the codec required to play the file is not installed on your computer. If you have already tried to download and install the codec, close and restart Windows Movie Maker, and then try to import the file again."
    The video is off a nikon camera if that makes a difference.

I'd never heard of codecs before so started researching which one to download. The two that seemed to keep answering my searches were a Nikon RAW one, and simply to download quicktime, which can convert or play .MOV files. The problem is I don't think the purpose of the nikon codec is to do what I want and I already have the latest quicktime.

Anyone have any advice?

Thanks a million!

2. peterh40

peterh40

First Name:
    Peter
  3. Freezz

Freezz

You can try also to find codecs special for mov. or just to convert mov to avi. I had a some mov files but I don't want to install quicktime player and I converted it to avi and mpeg with my converting software and now it works fine for me.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/591247

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice