1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help plz =D

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by cost45, Sep 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cost45

cost45 Thread Starter

Ok so the computer I was working on froze up when i was deleting an unwanted winzip program then when i went to restart it the computer would just get to the desktop of the computer but windows the os wouldn't show up so there was not START or any short cuts on the desktop. so when this happened i manually restarted it and tryed the last working system or what ever its called start up system, that didnt work so i tried the safe mood and it just got stuck so i had to restart it. the computer had no start up disk to try to repair the os so i tryed using my Windows Professional start up disk i used the repair feature and now the computer says it windows professional but it isnt all the way installed i was wondering if there was anyway to go back because i need to get the photos off the computer still or if there would be some way i could just get the photos and then just install the different os?
    Please Help
    Cost45

2. shinybeast

shinybeast

You could trying using the xp disc to get boot into recovery console (after setup loads choose repair, then choose recovery console and copy the files to another partition/hard drive/usb stick from the command prompt. Then reinstall OS. If you want to try and have questions, I'll try to help.

3. cost45

cost45 Thread Starter

Thank you im going back tomorrow to try to fix it so i will deffently post back if im having trouble lol =D
    Thanks Cost45

4. nessyguin

nessyguin

Sounds like the HD is stuck on an instal loop so dont think loading the XP Pro CD will help . You can pull the HD and slave it to another PC either internally or as an external drive to recover photos , documents , etc .

Installing from your XP Pro CD is unlikely to work and depends on the license for your OS CD and whether the machine you are working on is OEM or custom built . It may activate OK but would probably need your product key ..

5. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

Problem is Recovery Console will not let you access your files unless you have previously enabled the SET command from within Windows -- not much use if you can't get into Windows. One of those "features" that often gets overlooked until it's needed, and then you can't enable it.

See Description of the SET Command in Recovery Console for instructions on enabling the Set command.

If SET has been enabled, you have to issue this command once in the Recovery Console to gain access to your files:
    SET allowallpaths=TRUE
    A USB stick probably won't work unless the BIOS supports it, as no USB drivers are loaded by the Recovery Console. And as USB devices are usually seen as Removable Media, you would also have to issue this Set command:
    Set allowremovablemedia=TRUE

If the system will boot to Safe mode with Command prompt, you can follow these steps to run System Restore from a command prompt and see if you can restore back to before this all started.

Otherwise, moving the hard drive to another PC as nessyguin suggests, or using a Live CD to access the drive and copy them to another PC or burn them to disk would be your best bet to recover your files.

HTH

Jerry

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/754877

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice