1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help plz! MIC not working- recording bar on audio control greyed out

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by kindhrtd, Jul 28, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kindhrtd

kindhrtd Thread Starter

Hello,
    I am trying to get my mic working. ive read all the previous threads and nothing simlar to my problem. Cant get sound recorder to record, nor is a MSN Voice Share sound wizard recognizing my mic. When i use the wizrd, i can hear my voice in the speaker, but the recording volume on the wizard doesnt show any activity.
    Sound Recorder error when trying to record "your audio hardware cannot record into filess liek the current file"
    Under Volume Control>Options>Properties>Recording- all controls clicked. But the Recording Bar is GREYED OUT- wont allow me to mute this bar. I can adjust bar volume, but doesnt help.
    This comp was a gift- has ESS Audiodrive as prefered device in Settings>Multimedia.
    Under settings>Control Panel>System>Sound, Video and game Controllers shows ES 1868 Control Interface(WDM) and ES 1868 Plug and Play Audio Drive(WDM)
    My friend assures me it has a sound card... i duno what to think
    SORRY SO LONG.. hope this lenght will show my exact problem..
    Thank you!

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Hi and welcome. What operating system are you running?

3. kindhrtd

kindhrtd Thread Starter

hello Aca..
    i am running WIN98.. i thought i had thought of everything :(

4. ~Candy~

Can you right click on my computer, properties, what version number?

5. kindhrtd

kindhrtd Thread Starter

hi again Aca..
    its WIN 98 Second Edition 4.10.2222A

6. ~Candy~

Well, that particular sound card is a pain in the rear. I've toyed with them on various computers, with hit and miss luck.

Let's try one thing first, start button, run, then type sysedit and hit ok.....post the contents of the system.ini tab, just under the boot, not all of it.

7. kindhrtd

kindhrtd Thread Starter

per your directions:
    [boot]
    oemfonts.fon=vgaoem.fon
    shell=Explorer.exe
    system.drv=system.drv
    drivers=mmsystem.dll power.drv
    user.exe=user.exe
    gdi.exe=gdi.exe
    sound.drv=mmsound.drv
    dibeng.drv=dibeng.dll
    comm.drv=comm.drv

8. ~Candy~

Ok, go to add/remove programs, windows setup, multimedia, and uncheck it. You'll be prompted to reboot, I think. Then go back and do the same thing, but recheck it. You will more than likely need the Windows 98 installation cd, unless you have the cab files under c:\windows\options\cabs.

9. kindhrtd

kindhrtd Thread Starter

hello Aca,
    I unchecked multimedia, and rechecked it, didnt ahev to reboot... but am now missing file "imaadp.32acm" on Windows 98 Second Edition. Is there an Mmicrosoft site I can DL this file from?

10. ~Candy~

????? are you sure you have spelled it correctly?

Actually after removing it, I'd like you to reboot anyway.

11. kindhrtd

kindhrtd Thread Starter

hi again-
    i rebooted regardless.. and yes- its stating the imaadp.32acm is not on the WIN 98 SEC ED disk :(

12. ~Candy~

And that is the message you receive upon startup? And you can click past it?

If so, what is starting via

start button, run, then type msinfo32 and hit ok...go to software, startups, edit, select all, edit, copy and come back and paste.

13. kindhrtd

kindhrtd Thread Starter

ok under msinfo32>Software Envirnoment>StartUp Programs =
    sorry its an eye sore!

InControl Desktop Manager Startup Group "C:\Program Files\Diamond\InControl Tools 99\DMHKEY.EXE"
    WinZip Quick Pick Startup Group "C:\Program Files\WinZip\WZQKPICK.EXE"
    GStartup Startup Group "C:\Program Files\Common Files\GMT\GMT.exe" /startup
    WeatherCast Registry (Per-User Run) C:\Program Files\WeatherCast\Weather.exe /q
    ScanRegistry Registry (Machine Run) C:\WINDOWS\scanregw.exe /autorun
    TaskMonitor Registry (Machine Run) C:\WINDOWS\taskmon.exe
    SystemTray Registry (Machine Run) SysTray.Exe
    LoadPowerProfile Registry (Machine Run) Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
    NAV Agent Registry (Machine Run) C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~1\NAVAPW32.EXE
    BJCFD Registry (Machine Run) C:\Program Files\BroadJump\Client Foundation\CFD.exe
    AltnetPointsManager Registry (Machine Run) C:\Program Files\Altnet\Points Manager\Points Manager.exe -s
    XupiterStartup Registry (Machine Run) C:\Program Files\Xupiter\XupiterStartup2003.exe
    XupiterCfgLoader Registry (Machine Run) C:\Program Files\Xupiter\XTCfgLoader.exe
    WhenUSave Registry (Machine Run) C:\PROGRA~1\SAVE\Save.exe
    CMESys Registry (Machine Run) "C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\CMEII\CMESYS.EXE"
    QuickTime Task Registry (Machine Run) "C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\QTTASK.EXE" -atboottime
    TkBellExe Registry (Machine Run) "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe" -osboot
    New.net Startup Registry (Machine Run) rundll32 C:\PROGRA~1\NEWDOT~1\NEWDOT~2.DLL,NewDotNetStartup
    P2P NETWORKING Registry (Machine Run) C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\P2P NETWORKING\P2P NETWORKING.EXE /AUTOSTART
    LoadPowerProfile Registry (Machine Service) Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
    ScriptBlocking Registry (Machine Service) "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Script Blocking\SBServ.exe" -reg
    SchedulingAgent Registry (Machine Service) mstask.exe

14. kindhrtd

kindhrtd Thread Starter

also.. cannot click past :(

15. ~Candy~

You have a crapload of spyware there.

Not sure if that is part of the problem or not.

Download spybot from here:

http://security.kolla.de/index.php?lang=en&page=download

And let me find one of Tony Klein's post as to what to do next. I think you have to update prior to running.

One thing is for certain, go to add/remove programs and find that NEWDOT item and remove it.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/150691

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice