1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help preventing XP Pro running file check on boot up.

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by byanoseau, May 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. byanoseau

byanoseau Thread Starter

Hi Everyone,

Would someone please tell me why my computer runs a file check on a drive each time the computer boots? I have 3 physical hard drives, C:, D:, E:, and each time the computer boots it checks the E: drive for errors. I have no scheduled tasks running, so how can I prevent the file check?

Thanks.

Byn

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

At a command prompt, type: ntfschk /?

You will see switches for checking the status of each drive and for resetting the default behavior (checking all disks for "dirty" flags at startup and checking only those that are flagged).

3. byanoseau

byanoseau Thread Starter

Hi Elvandil,

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, when I type ntfschk /? I get the following:

"ntfschk" is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

Is there anything else I can try? Thanks for your help.

Byn

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

OK. Sorry. That would be "chkntfs".

5. byanoseau

byanoseau Thread Starter

Hi Elvandil,

Thanks, now it understands. :)) I've set it back to the default, /D, and I'll let you know the outcome.

Thanks again.

Byn

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

OK. We have a few more things to try if that doesn't help. Note that once you use chkntfs /D to reset chkdsk, it will still run on the next boot but hopefully not on the one after that.

Do you have an HP ScanJet 5100c scanner?

7. byanoseau

byanoseau Thread Starter

Hi Elvandil,

I've only booted once since I reset chkdsk and as you said, it ran the file check again.

No, I have an Epson Perfection 1660 Scanner.

I'll let you know what happens next boot. Thanks for your help.

Byn

8. Elvandil

Elvandil

OK. There are a few more things we can try, so we will just try them all until it's fixed.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/226067

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice