HELP printer spooler error

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

wing05TK

For a long while my printer has been having a number of problems. Recently when i tried to reinstall the drivers it said that the print spooler was turned off. So i went to control panal, adminstrators tools , services, and tried to turn it back on. However, I keep get error 1068: the dependency service or group failed to start.

I have no idea what I should do now. Thankyou for any help

Double click the Print Spooler service entry, and go to the Dependencies tab.

You should see the Remote Procedures Call service (RPC) listed - make sure the RPC service is started before the Print Spooler service - change the Startup Type (under the General tab) in each to Automatic.

When you checked the Print Spooler service, did you click on the Dependencies tab to check the services that Print Spooler depends on, and check that they too are set to Automatic and Started?

HI...wandered into this subject on a search, and it worked..never knew that a Print Spooler could be turned off..now I can turn it back on...

THANKS! (I love this site!)

I have a similar printer problem. Do not know whether I should open a new link. I can print as long as the printer is on. When I switch it off and then on again (say the next day), I can not print (failure to communicate with the printer). I have uninstalled and installed the printer numerous times. Lexmark 83 all in one printer. I print may be twice a week, so keeping the printer on all the time is not really a preferred solution.

I looked at the post in #2 by Lister and #3 by Claymore. Under the printer spooler dependencies, RPC and Fax are listed. Double clicking these two in the services, I do not see the option of making RPC automatic (it is greyed out), though the service status says "started". Path to executable "C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost -k rpcss". Many thanks for your help.

Back to this... I hadn't printed anything in a few days. Went to print last night ans same thing, so I had to go back and turn the spooler back on. Why won't it keep the setting?

I'm considering re-installing XP, but if there's something I misssed?!?!

Thanks!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online