Help, PSU burned out! Please!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

htpw16

Hello all,

Im a new pc builder and have just ran into an enormous problem. First let me tell you my specs:

ANTEC TruePower 480W
ASUS A8N-Deluxe SLI
AMD Athlon 64 3200
WD Raptor 74GB SATA
Maxtor MaxLine III 250 GB SATA
ATI Radeon X700 PCI-express 256MB
Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS
Pioneer DVD-107D burner
Creative 52x CD drive
Floppy Drive
3x Corsair 512MB DDR-DIMM ValueSelect
Couple fans

I built this pc, reading all directions really carefully, took me 3-4 hours, cuz I wanted to make sure everything was correct. I double checked everything. I plug all the correct wires etc....

So now I come to turning on the pc. I first turned on the power supply... I saw a light turn on in my case, i believe that was my motherboard, so thats good. I would like to stress that the computer was NOT IN USE, this was the first time I turned it on. So now to turn on the pc, i pressed the ON button......

DAMN, I heard a pop and saw a flash, and the pc did not turn on. A real bad odor came out of the power supply. So Im assuming the power supply burned out....But PLEASE, for I cannot afford another computer, tell me that hopefully the other pieces of hardware are fine.....Again, the computer was NOT IN USE, this was the first turn on.....

Please, your help and suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks

htpw16

No, I used it for a previous system I had, as well as the optical drives. But the rest of the hardware is brand new.

htpw16

Just realized this, my room has no electricity, certain sockets, lights dont work, tv dont work....hmmmm

A trip to the breaker panel! I think what you'll find is a tripped breaker due to a short from your power supply. It drew too much power. You'll be very lucky if your other components are ok. Specifically, have a look at the group of capacitors near the cpu. Check the bottom of the motherboard for discolouration, same with your video card. In any case, you're looking at a new power supply.

htpw16

so how would I know if the components are fine, just if they look the same when I took em out of the retail box...? So any discoloration indicates the component is dead? And if the capaciters near the cpu are damaged?

Any recommendations for a power supply (manufacturer, Watts, etc)?

thanks

Hi

Not that im a computer expert but me myself id go for a atx power supply at least 400w...

htpw16

Im looking at the capaciters near the cpu, and I dont see anything out of the ordinary. Same with the video card, it looks like its ok...What kind of discoloration are you speaking of?

Thanks again

Probably some brownish stains on the bottom of the board, that would be the side you can't see. Also have a look where the main power connects from the powersupply to the motherboard.

htpw16

Im gonna buy a new power supply and was wondering if you have any recomendations for the type/watts kronos?

Also, what may have caused this? Do you suggest installing each hardware component gradually (first video card, install drivers, shutdown, install sound card, install drivers, shutdown...etc) or is it usually fine to build the pc in its entirety and then turn it on?

Thanks, youve been helpful.

That antec you had was a good idea. They are generally considered the top brand. Whatever you do, don't buy something cheap, too many companies make crappy power supplies. As for wattage, you'll probably want at least 400w. here's a neat link, just remember that this would reflect the absolute most your computer would need. I run a 330w with just reams of components. I get away with it. http://www.jscustompcs.com/power_supply/

I forgot to tell you... invest in a surge protector. A power bar with a fuse in it. It could save you a lot of money in the future. And to answer your other question, when I build a computer, I generally build it up with the basic components first, get it all set up, then add new stuff one at a time. This is not necessary, but it makes me feel good and safe.

htpw16

Well I have a UPC that I connect my pc to incase the power goes out.

One problem i realized was that my ANTEC power supply comes with a 20 pin connector, however my motherboard only accepts a 24 pin connector. Im beginning to think thats what caused the shortage and psu to burn out.

Edit: Also regarding burnt components, I was asking a friend of mine, and he said usually, if you have a cheap power supply and it burns out, you can say good by to your other components, but if you have a reputable/well known power supply, you shouldnt worry too much about burning your hardware components.

Does that make sense kronos?

thanks

htpw16 said:
Well I have a UPC that I connect my pc to incase the power goes out.

One problem i realized was that my ANTEC power supply comes with a 20 pin connector, however my motherboard only accepts a 24 pin connector. Im beginning to think thats what caused the shortage and psu to burn out.
Not necessarily my antec was also 20 pin and my motherboard takes both.There 4 open holes.Asus didn't really make it very apparent the connector is not keyed or labeled very well.Kinda looked at the pin-out drawings and figured it out.Then the connector fit easily.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online