1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

HELP -- PXE-E53 & PXE-MOF reoccurred.

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Ccard, Apr 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Ccard

Ccard Thread Starter

:( I'm looking for help, my problem is back. It started while I was on the internet, a black screen, and PXE-E53 & PXE-MOF. When I rebooted I got the Windows XP screen, a black screen, and a DOS session with the error messages. I tried several times/ways to reboot and was able to log in once in a 'safe mode' but I didn't know what to look for or do. I then did a restart, got the Windows XP screen and the problem again.

It was suggested that reset all the cables and cards, so I did. I booted the machine and got a pxe-e61 - check the cables. I reset all the cables again and it booted/worked successfully for two days. I also ran chkdsk and check-it diagnostics and both reported the HD had no problems. I also did a data backup while it was working.

Here is some system info. Workstation is an IBM Netvista built in 2002, running XP Professional SP3, it has 512mb of RAM, and it has a 38GB HD with 10GB of free space.

2. Saga Lout

Saga Lout

Restart and tap the Delete key to go into BIOS. Look for the Boot options and disable Boot from Network. Save and exit then post back what happens on the restart.

3. Ccard

Ccard Thread Starter

I tried 'delete' several times with multple reboots but no BIOS data appeared. I was able to go into a IBM setup utility and found:
    Network Setup
    Enabled - System Eithernet Board
    Enabled - PXE Boot Agent ------------ IS THIS WHAT YOU WANT ME TO DISABLE????
    Enabled - PXE Base Code
    00096bb2d2c9 - MAC addr

Here is a bit more detail that displays before the PXE error messages.
    PXE base code (ba410bc)
    Client MAC addr 0009 6b b2 d2 c9 guid:faa9f515 ab4b 2512 b53e 84cdfac7449

Here is some addn info: While I was rebooting, attempting the 'delete key tap' I actually got to the Windows login screen a few times. I actually got logged in once, then got kick out.

Do I disable PXE boot agent?

4. Saga Lout

Saga Lout

Yes please. Sorry for assuming that any laptop of that age would automatically use Delete as the BIOS access key.

5. Ccard

Ccard Thread Starter

I disabled the PXE boot agent, saved the settings, shut the machine off and restarted. I got the IBM startup screen, next a screen that asked how I wanted to start Windows (I picked normal), next the Windows XP screen, then it went to the IBM startup screen, automatically went black and I got a DOS screen. The error message is: 1962: No Operating System Found Press f1. Obviously pressing f1 got me the same message.

I don't think the solution makes any difference but I have a workstation, not a laptop. I don't know what your next suggestion might be but I was looking at a few other threads with this problem and they said something about replacing the internal battery. My machine is 8 years old, is that a possibility at all?

6. Saga Lout

Saga Lout

OK so now we know it was only trying to boot from a network because there was no bootable CD in the system and the hard disk or the system installed on it, isn't being recognised. This is significant because without that disk, the system is brain dead. The internal - or CMOS - battery may need replacing on anolder machine, but your BIOS responded to changes you made to it and if you noticed the time and date and it was correct, there's nothing wrong with that battery.

When you bought it, did the computer come with a Windows XP CD? If it did, you need to pop that in and run it as though you're reinstalling only when you get to the point where you press Enter to do that, instead press R for the Repair Option. Post back for another suggestion if you don't have that CD.

7. Ccard

Ccard Thread Starter

It did not come with a XP disk that I recall, but I did see an IBM restore option someplace. I'll give that a try when I get back tonight.

Thanks for your continued help with this problem.

8. Ccard

Ccard Thread Starter

I found the IBM recovery program (ver 5,7) but it only has an option for a full recovery - reformat hard drive, install XP, drivers & preinstalled apps. It states: .. deletes all files from the operation system partition; ... intended for irrecoverable problems. Unless there is a hidden option there is no repair.

I did find a floppy disk with a BIOS update (20jt469) that I updated in March of 2006. But I don't know what is on the disk or what would happen if I tried to boot from that disk. I don't want to start over with a full recovery.

I would appreciate more suggestions but maybe it is time for me to give up and bring it in for repair.

Thanks for your help

9. Ccard

Ccard Thread Starter

I looked another place and found a CD with Windows XP SP2 that I installed in Jan-05 and a CD with Windows Security Updated that I installed in Mar-04. Would these be helpfull at all?

10. Saga Lout

Saga Lout

It would be helpful to be able to run Checkdisk from the Repair option of that CD - if it can find and mount your hard disk. Proceed as though you're installing and after the Function 8 to accept the EULA stage, press R for repair rather than Enter to install. If XP seems to find the disk, type chkdsk /r (including the space) and let the five stage process complete before typing exit to let Windows restart, hopefully normally.

You could also use the machine you're posting from to download and burna Linux build which wll help you rescue your files. Frequently, Linux can mount a disk Windows cannot and you can download PCLinuxOS from http://www.pclinuxos.com free of charge. Use something like ImgBurn to burn (not copy) it to a CD so it's bootable then run it as a LiveCD, working only in RAM so if the hard disk doesn't show, it makes no difference. When it's up and running, select My Computer from the desktop and go to Storage Media and the hard disk - if showing. If it doesn't, go to Control Panel>Hardware and scan for it. Taking data off to memory sticks or an external hard disk is a simple copy and paste procedure.

11. Ccard

Ccard Thread Starter

Just before I started this thread (when I had Windows running for a while) I ran both chkdsk /r and check-it diagnostics. Neither of these found issues with the HD.

Can you tell me why my machine might work intermitently. Just before I wrote this I started the machine, I logged into windows and Outlook (part of my startup) was almost all loaded before the machine failed.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/915786

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice