1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help re failed updates

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by BigBad64, Apr 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. BigBad64

BigBad64 Thread Starter

I have Windows trying repeatedly to install 3 updates, KB948590, KB945553 & KB941693 and failing.

It first tried through automatic updates and after a re-start I saw it again trying to download more updates. Thinking that this was strange I went into the Windows Update site, and after checking for critical updates it said I needed the above 3.

I then had a look at the update history and it said it had just tried to install these 3 through automatic updates and failed. When I click on the "failed" icon as directed to find out what went wrong nothing happens.

Between the automatic update attempt and my manual windows update attempt I was prompted to download KB892130, the Windows Genuine Advantage Tool. This was successful.

The sequence of this is below;

Windows XP Security Update for Windows XP (KB948590) Wednesday, 9 April 2008 Windows Update - FAILED
    Windows XP Security Update for Windows XP (KB945553) Wednesday, 9 April 2008 Windows Update - FAILED
    Windows XP Security Update for Windows XP (KB941693) Wednesday, 9 April 2008 Windows Update - FAILED
    Windows XP Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool (KB892130) Wednesday, 9 April 2008 Windows Update - SUCCESSFUL
    Windows XP Security Update for Windows XP (KB941693) Wednesday, 9 April 2008 Automatic Updates - FAILED
    Windows XP Security Update for Windows XP (KB948590) Wednesday, 9 April 2008 Automatic Updates - FAILED
    Windows XP Security Update for Windows XP (KB945553) Wednesday, 9 April 2008 Automatic Updates - FAILED

I'm running XP Home SP2 and IE7.

I'm concerned that Windows on auto updates is going to waste some of my download quota by repeatedly attempting to download these updates without success.

How can I find out why they won't install and try and fix it if nothing happens when I click on the "failed" icon?

Help please.

2. bingo24

bingo24

See if this will work.

Go to Start>Run, type net stop wuauserv

Open Explorer and Delete these folders:
    ...\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistributions\SelfUpdate
    ...\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistributions\WebSetup
    ...\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistributions\WuRedir
    ...\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistributions\AuthCabs
    ...\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistributions\DataStore
    ...\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistributions\Download

Go back to Start>Run type, net start wuauserv

Restart the computer, then give the Windows Update site another try.

3. BigBad64

BigBad64 Thread Starter

Will give it a go and let you know what happens.

Had a neighbour who's into computers come over for a look after I posted and he said don't worry because I was being given a "download failed" message and that meant the problem wasn't my end?????

4. BigBad64

BigBad64 Thread Starter

Ok I just tried what bingo24 said and still no joy.

(For some reason I couldn't delete this file;
    ...\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistributions\Download,
    something about "cannot delete update.exe" or similar, but I deleted the rest as instructed)

Went back to the Windows Update site and tried to install the 3 updates I mentioned.

In the window it then said,
    "Downloading update 1 of 3........failed!
    Downloading update 2 of 3........failed!
    Downloading update 3 of 3........failed!"

(Talk about making you feel like a failure)

Then I got the window saying that the 3 updates were not installed.

Going to update history and clicking on the failed icon for the 3 attempts still has no effect. If I right click the failed icon and select "Open in new tab", the new tab is titled "Blank Page".
    :confused:

5. bingo24

bingo24

Are you getting a error code such 0x800A01AE or something similar?

I've got one more suggestion

Click Start>Run, type cmd, then click OK.

Type the following commands. Press Enter after each command

regsvr32 wuapi.dll
    regsvr32 wuaueng.dll
    regsvr32 wuaueng1.dll
    regsvr32 wucltui.dll
    regsvr32 wups.dll
    regsvr32 wups2.dll
    regsvr32 wuweb.dll

Close cmd window, reboot and attempt to run Windows Update.

6. BigBad64

BigBad64 Thread Starter

I'll try your suggestion tonight after work.

Where would I see that error code come up?

Have you successfully had these particular 3 updates download and install?

7. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

Here is a bit more to try:

There are a number of things that can break Windows Update in Windows XP, including performing a repair/reinstall. For a fix, try these next steps:

Open Notepad or WordPad and copy/paste the following text:

regsvr32 wuapi.dll
    regsvr32 wuaueng.dll
    regsvr32 atl.dll
    regsvr32 wucltui.dll
    regsvr32 wups.dll
    regsvr32 wuaueng1.dll
    regsvr32 wucltui.dll
    regsvr32 wups.dll
    regsvr32 wuweb.dll
    regsvr32 wups2.dll
    regsvr32 msxml.dll
    regsvr32 msxml3.dll
    regsvr32 msxml2.dll
    regsvr32 qmgr.dll
    regsvr32 qmgrprxy.dll
    end

Save the file to your desktop as UpdatesFix.cmd (you'll have to click the "Save As Type…. Dropdown arrow on the right of the selection window and select "All Files" before you click the Save button).

If you'd rather not try the batch file, you can enter each line in the Run box one at a time and click OK after each one.

Double-click the UpdatesFix.cmd file; a command window will open, and you'll see a series of dialogue boxes saying DLLRegisterServer in *.dll succeeded. Click OK to step through the process.
    Once all the dll's have been successfully reregistered visit the Windows Update site and try the Windows updates again to see if it works correctly.
    Often you will have to download and install Windows Installer 3.1 and the Windows Genuine Advantage tool before you can download any more updates.
    Windows Installer 3.1
    Redistributable (v2) For Windows 2000 Service Pack 3; Windows 2000 Service Pack 4; Windows Server 2003; Windows XP; Windows XP Service Pack 1; Windows XP Service Pack 2
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...fc-5f56-4a38-b838-de776fd4138c&DisplayLang=en

An update for Windows Installer 3.1 is available for Windows Server 2003 SP1 and for the 64-bit editions of Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/898715/en-us

On rare occasions, a reregister will fail; in such cases, run sfc /scannow (have your OS CD handy) and then try again.

Other times, the reregistering will succeed, but Windows Update still fails. This can occur if the temporary folders of Windows Update have been corrupted. You can refer to these steps to rename these folders. Be assured the folders will be created again when you visit the Windows Update site again.

1. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Run the following command in the opened window:

net stop wuauserv

2. Click Start, Run, type: %windir%\SoftwareDistribution and press Enter to open the temporary folder of the Windows Update engine. Then, rename the following two subfolders:

DataStore
    Download

For example, rename DataStore to DataStore-old, and Download to Download-old.

3. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Run the following command in the opened window:

net start wuauserv

After you rename the above folders, please restart the computer in normal mode and visit the Windows Update site again.

8. BigBad64

BigBad64 Thread Starter

Guys, I followed both of your instructions as far as I could and still no luck. I re-registered all the dll's as both of you suggested and they all worked. Windows Update still doing the same thing.

I got down to the last bit of ozrom1e's instructions and then struck a brick wall. It won't let me rename the Download folder.

I get a window saying "Cannot rename Download. Access is denied. Make sure the disk is not full or write protected and that the file is not currently in use."

I left the names as is and then re-started windows updates via the cmd window.

I consistently get the following still happening with these 3 updates.

* "Installing Updates" window appears.
    * "Preparing for download" loads left to right normally.
    * "Verifying download" starts and I get........."failed!"

Then I get the "The following updates were not installed" window.

Is there some log or similar that I can post that shows you why these downloads are failing?

This is a gigantic time waster!

Thanks for your help.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/702144

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice