Help recovering important files off hard drive.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

theclosetnoo

when i started my computer up, it came to a compaq screen with "recovery." it won't go past that screen. i took the drive out and hooked it up to my other computer to see if i could access it, and all that is in on the drive is a folder titled "recovery." i'm not sure what is wrong, but it was working fine the other day. i am kinda worried as there is some stuff on there that is very important to me. i'm hoping to be able to salvage these files somehow. i don't know if anyone can help me out, but any would be appreciated. thank you!

cory mccart

it's a presario running ME. thank you so much.

Byteman

Gone but Never Forgotten
Hi, I would not advise using the Recovery CD---if your system is like lots of other Compaq models, there is only one type of Recovery...total wipe and restore to factory specs, meaning all data would be gone.

Have you been able to try booting with an ME or win98 bootdisk and trying a Registry Restore?

Here is some info about doing this:

http://www.mytechsupport.ca/support/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3541

What happened may be just the hard drive settings getting lost from the BIOS> try rebooting a few more times, and try holding the CTRL key at startup to get the Startup menu, then try restoring a previous good Registry backup, they are labeled, pick one that says "Started" and one from the day before the problem happened. The last one in the list of of five or so usually does not work...
I will add some things in the next few minutes.

ME also has System Restore, which saves several Restore Points....This is famous for not working in winME, but it may help....you may be able to run Restore from DOS prompt> see this page:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/279736

Personally, restoring a previous good Registry would be my first attempt...

If you need a startup diskette (which will only help if the machine has a floppy drive) and you can download on another computer, get this:

http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm

Use the green "Bootdisks" tab, then fromt he next page you will see a link for two ME startdisks, you download a small program that when run, prompts you to insert a blank floppy diskette, then it creates the diskette for you.
EDIT> By the way you can burn an image of a floppy bootdisk to a CD and start the computer with the CD...in case the computer does not have a floppy drive to use...let me know if you need that done, I have the directions to make a bootable CD, it's easy and works quite well.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online