1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help recovering *.xls file <File format not valid error>

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by cl340d, Feb 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cl340d

cl340d Thread Starter

Hello everyone:

Please someone -- can anyone help -- I have noticed a problem on one of my computers, which uses Office 2007, that when i attempt to do anything on my virtual machine (which uses Office 2003) within excel, invariably the file gets corrupted. I am not sure why this happens, because it doesn't always happen right away. However, after creating a file on my VM and then it gets saved on my regular machine, either after a few sessions or immediately, i get the error "file format not valid". I have spent over two weeks on this file (yes, using it everyday and saving/opening with no problem up until yesterday) and it has a lot of critical, non-sensitive data. I have tried calling my helpdesk (they were of no help), tried saving the file as *.xlsx, tried opening in word and wordpad (I could see some data -- but not all the critical data was there). PLEASE -- I have already bought one of those Recovery tools (which didn't get even 50%, or at least the critical updates i made yesterday). I can't afford to spend more -- is there anyone who would be willing to help a lost soul get this data back??? I have attached the file

Attached Files:

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/980185

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice