Help Reinstalling Missing XP Files Please.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

RedCrow

I'm wondering if there's a way one can reinstall missing XP files from the original disc without going through the process of reinstalling the entire OS?

I've mistakenly deleted files form the DOWNLOADED PROGRAMS FILES folder, which has resulted in programs like media player & Norton net functioning.

I'd be glad if anyone can point me to how to restore these files.

Thanx

Open a command prompt window and type:

sfc/scannow

If you have your XP install CD, it will replace just the incorrect files, but it does take a while so get yourself a soda and cookies while you wait.

RedCrow

Just finished scanning but it didn't solve the problem, Media player still give the message, "An internal Application Errorhas Occured"

Squashman

Retired Trusted Advisor
You can do a repair install. This will leave all your programs and data in tact. Are you sure these files are related to Windows and not the programs themselves.

RedCrow

I should think these files has something to do with the java engine. They were in the Windows Downloaded Files Folder. Flash wasn't playing after I emptied the folder, it started playing after I was prompted to download it and it's been playing after the download.

Media player, Norton & and the file search system are currently not functional. Same as windows Update.

RedCrow

How Do I go about doing "repair install" in winXP?

Please, somebody.........

I thought the items in the DOWNLOADED PROGRAMS FILES directory were only put there after you installed the operating system and download some programs. Not sure a repair would put them back again.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online