1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help Reinstalling Missing XP Files Please.

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by RedCrow, Jan 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. RedCrow

RedCrow Thread Starter

I'm wondering if there's a way one can reinstall missing XP files from the original disc without going through the process of reinstalling the entire OS?

I've mistakenly deleted files form the DOWNLOADED PROGRAMS FILES folder, which has resulted in programs like media player & Norton net functioning.

I'd be glad if anyone can point me to how to restore these files.

Thanx

2. jnixon

jnixon

Open a command prompt window and type:

sfc/scannow

If you have your XP install CD, it will replace just the incorrect files, but it does take a while so get yourself a soda and cookies while you wait.

3. RedCrow

RedCrow Thread Starter

Thanx, Gonna try that now.

4. RedCrow

RedCrow Thread Starter

Just finished scanning but it didn't solve the problem, Media player still give the message, "An internal Application Errorhas Occured"

5. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

You can do a repair install. This will leave all your programs and data in tact. Are you sure these files are related to Windows and not the programs themselves.

6. RedCrow

RedCrow Thread Starter

I should think these files has something to do with the java engine. They were in the Windows Downloaded Files Folder. Flash wasn't playing after I emptied the folder, it started playing after I was prompted to download it and it's been playing after the download.

Media player, Norton & and the file search system are currently not functional. Same as windows Update.

7. RedCrow

RedCrow Thread Starter

How Do I go about doing "repair install" in winXP?

Please, somebody.........

8. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling the application you are having problems with.

Google repair install

9. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

I thought the items in the DOWNLOADED PROGRAMS FILES directory were only put there after you installed the operating system and download some programs. Not sure a repair would put them back again.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!