1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help removing!

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by IgneousPrime, Jan 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. IgneousPrime

IgneousPrime Thread Starter

For some weird reason,I can't remove Norton Antivirus 2002! I use Windows XP with Service Pack 1. I uninstalled it from the installed programs list in controls panels,but when I go to my C:\ drive,the folder is still there! I try and remove it but it says this:

Cannot Delete NAVAPSVC.EXE and then it says the file is in use.

I checked my processes and don't see that there. Also,when I reinstall it,it won't let me on the internet,so I have to delete it off the programs list and I can go to the net again. But I can't delete that darn folder! And when I try and install something,it goes like a weird file from Norton Antivirus is corrupted or something would you like to Ignore or Close? And when I click CLOSE,it just stops the installation! Plz HELP! Thanks in advance!

2. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

3. IgneousPrime

Tried that. Folder is still there :(.

4. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Have you followed the Manual removal instructions for XP as well? If you have done that from top to bottom, you should not be prevented from deleting anything that way, but you may need to reboot afterwards to remove the folder.

You may also want to try booting up in Safe Mode and removing it. (Tap the F8 key on startup to get the option)

5. IgneousPrime

I did EVERYTHING you told me to. I double checked everything I did like around 3 times and it still says the .dll cannot be deleted. What does it mean if it's write protected or in use?

6. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Ok, understand now that these further instructions presume you have followed Symantec's uninstall instructions completely and nothing is left in the registry that was included in their manual removal instructions.

What is the exact name of the folder you cannot delete; and what is the file path to it? You must give full path spelled out completely. From that I can give you DOS instructions to delete it.

Or you can try this yourself using the DOS shell tweak.

Follow the instructions to install the DOS Shell right click menu option given by Mosaic1 here:

http://forums.techguy.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=98200&highlight=dos+shell

Once it's installed, Right Click on the Folder that contains the folder you want to delete -- the one right before it in the File Tree or path.

Select DOS Shell from the right click menu. Make sure the command prompt shows you in the right location. (the directory that contains the folder you want to delete, but you should not see the folder itself in the file path)

enter:

rd /s filena~1

exit

Where filena is the FIRST 6 letters of the folder name you want to delete plus a ~1

If you are prompted to confirm deletion of the proper target folder, enter 'y'

You must NOT do this if there is anything else in that folder that you need, because the command will delete the folder and its entire contents. Enter 'exit' to leave the DOS shell.

If you get errors when you reboot, that means there are still registry entries left for NAV which need to be removed as well.

You can search for them by running regedit and using the Find function.

7. IgneousPrime

This is VERY odd. I did everything ya' told me there,and I tried to delete it in DOS,but it said that NAVB193.dll or something like that was in use,so it couldn't delete. *Sigh*

8. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

XPs DOS window is pretty aggressive, much more so than the 9x version, so if you are getting a message that something is "in use", it really must be.

I can't get a hit for that dll as spelled, could you verify it and we'll try to find what part of NAV or the registry it is associated with.

Also do you have any other Norton programs installed that might require support from that folder?

And is this the Manual uninstall link that you followed, step by step? It is particularly important that all registry entries be deleted.

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nav.nsf/docid/2001083014161306

You can try the same DOS method from Safe Mode, but I would be very surprised if you didn't encounter errors on rebooting, because clearly there must be registry entries left for either NAV or some other Norton product. To start in Safe Mode you must tap the f8 key a few times at the very beginning of the boot process.

9. IgneousPrime

I did EVERYTHING. I removed all of the entries on my registry and even tried to use MS DOS in safe mode,sorry :(.

10. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

What is the name of the actual file that is holding things up again?

If you run regedit and enter it in Edit>Find, do you get a hit for it?

Is it always NAVAPSVC.EXE or is it a dll?

Try this: go to Administrative Tools > Services

Look for Norton AntiVirus Auto Protect Service; this links to:

C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe

Double click the Service (or right click > Properties) and set it to "Disabled". Then you can probably delete it after rebooting.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/112896

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice