1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help: Request SP2 Assistance

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by golferguy, Jan 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. golferguy

golferguy Thread Starter

Good day all! First, I’ll start off by saying I’m ready to take your arrows!!:D I have just recently got the internet back after none for almost two years. In that time, obviously, no updates have been made to the computer.:eek: Still have SP1 (sling arrows now!!!) I have a group of items on the computer that I don’t want to lose.

Now, here are my questions with a big however. Are there any problems associated with the SP2 update (program conflicts or software that should be disabled prior to update)? Also, how do I go about installing/configuring SP2 and associated updates?

Here it is. However, my system restore is not cooperative to say the least.:mad: Here is a previous post. Kind of says it all. Still unresolved.

04-Jan-2005 “I am unable to access any of my or XPs restore points. When I had a minor snafu I went to restore to an earlier date. All appeared to be going as it should. However, when I got to my profile a message window came up that said unable to restore to (chosen date/time) etc. I chose 3 other restore points over the last month, thinking it might be some recent problem, still a no go. Any help would be greatly appreciated? Also, are there any programs outside of XP that can be used for restoring? If I need an HJT Log let me know and I'll repost.”

Updating is probably pretty straightforward. I just didn’t want to start with no way to go back and possibly lose things on my hard drive. If more info is needed, let me know and I'll respond ASAP. Any and all help is appreciated. Thanks so much for your patience.

Golferguy

2. Iceworx

Iceworx

First of all , Updating IS pretty straight foward, I recommend just heading to the windows update site and let it do its thing, reboot when asked and keep going to the site untill no more updates are availble.

Now, about your restore point problem, have you tried to do a system restore in safe mode ?
    Also you might want to check for malware that might have made your system lose access to previous restore information. This can be provoked by a virus deleting restore information or you could have set a restore point manually.

3. Billy the Adult

Billy the Adult

As stated Updating is pretty straight forward, but I would recommend one change. Don't do all the updates in one big bundle. When going to Windows Update use the "custom" feature rather than the Express. Download major updates one at a time. i.e. SP2 , IE7, etc. Most of the problems I've encountered with Windows update come from trying to download and install them all in one download.

4. golferguy

golferguy Thread Starter

Bloodworx, I've run Spybot, Ad-aware, AVG Anti-Spyware and Virus. All show no problems.

The restore problem is with both manual and automatic restore points. Is ther a possibility that the space required for restore points is full? If so, how do I check this, change amount of space, and/or remove old restore points?

Also, I have not run restore in safe mode. If restore is run in safe mode, will the restore take when I restart normally?

Please bear with me. I know just enough about alot about computers to be scary:D !

Golferguy

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!