1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help requested for old HP SureStore T20 Tape Drive Install

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by cobb, Feb 25, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cobb

cobb Thread Starter

Does anyone have experience with this old technology? I used mine back in 2000/2001 with NT, I still have the drive, and the tapes, and now find myself really needing some to the legal type files that are there. I have installed NT4 back on a machine, but during the install of the HP ST, the install program asks questions that I can not fine the answers to. I have two original install CD's (and one floppy disk for Win 95). One CD has a date of 1998, and the other a date of 1999, however both seem to follow the same install steps.
    Question #1: Am I correct that the tape I am using is DAT (not DLT). It is a Travan 20 GB and is measured as an 8mm.
    Question #2: The casing of the tape drive shows "HP SureStore T20", but the install program asks if I have a DAT8 or DAT24 or DAT24x6. I have not been able to find the answer to this question so if someone can direct me, I would be most appreciative.
    Question #3: Then system asks if tape is Dat8i or DAT8e / or is tape DAT24i, DAT24e or DAT24r / or is tape DAT24x6i or DAT24x6e. Again I have not been able to find direction on these settings.

2. Fireflycph

Fireflycph

First Name:
    Morten
    If memory server me right; THen those are not Dat tapes. They're magnetic tapes. I believe the version is called "Tr-5". 10Gb Native, 20GB with 2/1 compression.

I may, just may, have a copy of the old Seagate drivers laying around somewhere. I'll look for them. What's the interface?

3. dlipman

dlipman

First Name:
    David
    OMG - Why install that ?

You can get a 64GB USB Flash Drive and it will hold more, be faster, and be Random/Read and Random/Write. Tape drives are serial/sequential readers. You have to seek to the tape position to get data from it.

Travan - Linear track
    DAT - Helical like a VHS video tape

I had a Travan drive, I had a SCSI HP Digital Audio Tape Drive ( DAT ) drive , I managed a Robotic DLT system using CA ArcServe.

The drives can be Floppy interface, IDE (PATA) or SCSI.

Years ago, back in the Win95/98 days, I built an ASUS based PC with a PCI Coaxial S/PDIF card for a couple who were "tapers". They would record live musical events on a DAT drive and they would import the digital audio and record WAV files they would then burn to CD.

I have a box of DD3 (24GB) and DDS4 (40GB) tapes as well as a few cleaning tapes left over. Their just sitting doing nothing.

References:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Travan
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Audio_Tape

Last edited: Feb 25, 2019
  4. cobb

cobb Thread Starter

Sorry Firefly, what do you mean by "interface"?

5. dlipman

dlipman

First Name:
    David
    The drive interface can be; Floppy interface, IDE (PATA) or SCSI.

6. cobb

cobb Thread Starter

Thanks, I should have know that. I am using an Adaptec SCSI to an internal T20 drive.

7. Fireflycph

Fireflycph

First Name:
    Morten
    Which brand and model is the SCSI adapter?

8. cobb

cobb Thread Starter

It is the Adaptec - AHA-2920 bios version 3.0. I have to ask though, why is this a possible trail to pursue, as the computer finds the HP T20 tape drive. It shows up in the on screen preboot bios display and when I run HP Tape Assure program.

9. dlipman

dlipman

First Name:
    David
    Yeah, SCSI is Plug 'n Play. As long as the SCSI Controller has OS drivers, SCSI attached devices will be recognized. Just like PATA (IDE/EIDE) devices. The 2920 SCSI controller is capable of a maximum 10MB/s transfer rate. USB v2.0 is faster.

To use it, one would still need software that can work with a SCSI tape drive.

10. cobb

cobb Thread Starter

I also realized that there is no terminator on the scsi cable. I do not know where mine went, so I have ordered one. With that, I will put this request for assistance on hold.
    Thanks for everything so far.

11. Fireflycph

Fireflycph

First Name:
    Morten
    Do you have all the CD's that came with the drive? There should be one called "TapeAssure" which checks if it's installed correctly. THere's one with drivers which has a "README" telling you which drivers to use. And also a cd with tape backup software. ie. Colorado Backup, Stac Backup for NT etc. Here's a link to where I found that info. It does mention a T4 but yours is the same just with a higher capacity.

https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=emr_na-lpg28153

12. Fireflycph

Fireflycph

First Name:
    Morten
    Without knowing for certain. There maybe a jumper on the drive which enables termination. And, also, here again I can't remember, the SCSI card may have termination as an option in the BIOS.

It's worth a look.

13. dlipman

dlipman

First Name:
    David
    T20 drives come with active termination.
    https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=emr_na-lpg11339

14. cobb

cobb Thread Starter

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!