1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help required for interpreting benchmarks

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Topazz, Apr 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Topazz

Topazz Thread Starter

During my research on AMD CPUs for my next computer I came across this page of benchmark figures. Unfortunately, although it is obvious that the A64 3400+ processor is faster than the A64 3000+ processor, the numbers mean nothing to me so I am not sure just how much faster it is.

For a task such as video encoding using either the Athlon 64 3000+, 3200+ or 3400+ processor would the difference be something like 10 to 30 seconds or five to 10 minutes??

What about normal everyday tasks? When would the difference in speed actually be noticeable and by how much?

Would a kind person be able to translate and put these figures into perspective for me please?

2. Arcadion

Arcadion

For tasks like that the decrease in time taken is going to be similar to the increase in CPU speed, in other words, a 3400+ CPU will be about 10% quicker than a 3000+ one. So an encoding that takes 10 minutes on a 3000+ may take 8-9 minutes on a 3400+.

3. Topazz

Topazz Thread Starter

Thanks for that.

There is approx $NZ70 difference in price between a 3000+ CPU and 3200+ CPU and approx $NZ130 between the 3000+ and 3400+ CPUs. I guess I will just have to decide whether the extra cost is worth paying for a ten percent increase in speed.

4. Arcadion

Arcadion

I would get the 3000+ and spend the extra money on another 512MB of RAM.

5. professorxox

professorxox

Ya, topazz, save the money, get the 3000+ then when you're ready you can always overclock it.

6. obvious

obvious

I'll back you up on that xox!

just remember to get a diferent cooler to the one supplied with the cpu, as they tend to be quite noisy (plus they dont seem to handle the extra heat as good as i'd like)

7. Topazz

Topazz Thread Starter

Overclock? Moi?! :eek:

Yikes, that will be heading into uncharted waters for this geek. :p

obvious: Are you recommending getting a different cooler for ordinary use or only if overclocking is intended? What cooler would you suggest?

8. obvious

obvious

If youre overclocking, then DEFINATELY get a new cooler! or if you want a pc that is as quiet as possible, get a new cooler.

if youre not wanting to do either of those, then stay with the standard cooler.

9. professorxox

professorxox

I say stick with the cooler that you have now and see if that keeps it cool enough if/when you do overclock your new cpu, if not then you should think about getting a better cooler.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/349703

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice