1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help Rescue Info from Dead or Dying Laptop Hard Drive

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by oxphos, Sep 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oxphos

oxphos Thread Starter

A Compaq Presario 900 laptop running XP home froze and rebooted.

Error message was something similar to "Boot disk error occurred" Press Ctrl+ALT+Del to restart. Upon reboot the same message.

After googling found a link to diagnostics at the Hitachi website and ran them
    message received was "smart test failure- send drive to vendor"

Friend then found the recovery CD so placed that in and ran the recovery
    which took me to the C: prompt. Ran CHKDSK /R (it took about 24 hrs) moving 1% every 15 minutes.

This morning had the C prompt again, Removed the CD and rebooted.
    Something about a TRAP error 6 showed on the screen as well as some Eax type things. Rebooted again, TRAP error 8 with "double fault" with more gibberish on screen.

Found a reference to "Extracting data from a dead laptop with a laptop hard drive adapter" and about to pursue that avenue but don't know how fruitful it will be. IF the desktop HD sees the laptop HD - just copy the files over, right? And if the desktop HD DOES NOT see the laptop HD then ???

What I'd like to do is recover certain files from the dead drive by any means possible (starting with the least expensive and easiest and progressing accordingly).

I'd greatly appreciate any further suggestions.
    If all else fails any recommendations on data recovery software or firms would be great (I have spinrite and it says the drive is in bad shape and that the recovery option may take over 40 hours).

Thank you

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/276064

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice