1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help! "Restart" Doesn't work (Hard to explain), WinXP

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by OneDeadlyBum, Dec 20, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. OneDeadlyBum

OneDeadlyBum Thread Starter

Just recently I had re-formatted, this being one of the problems. It was fixed, and halleluja! I could restart! w00tzor!

I started installing my software and games, and continued restarting.

The last things I installed:

Soundblaster Live! Value Drivers
    Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer Drivers

While installing both of them (From CD, I have two drives), I went into MSconfig and dis-abled the AudioHQ that auto starts, and when both of them finished installing (Well SBLive drivers finished a little early) I hit restart, as prompted by my msconfig.

I was greeted by "Primary Hard Disk 0 not found"

"Strike F1 to retry, F2 to enter setup utility"

I hit retry 3 times, and it didn't work. I went into my BIOS Setup, and it said my Primary Hard Disk is an "unknown" device. When I bootup and go into the menu again, It says its my 60 GB drive, as its supposed to.

What happened?

A little info that may help:

Primary HD with OS and programs installed:

Drive C: 60 GB Drive, 7200 RPM, manufactured by Western Digital

Drive D: 20 GB Drive, I THINK its 7200 RPM, manufactured by Maxtor

Both are formatted as NTFS. My computer was booting just fine before I did the previous actions, is there anything I Can do?

[Edit] I checked the other post with a guy having the same problem, and i just remembered:

The 60 GB WD drive is set as "Master"

And 20 GB Maxtor drive is set as "Slave/Cable select" (One or the other)

I don't think this could effect the booting options, since XP was restarting worked just fine before this. I also failed to mention that this bug happened both times (as in last time it happened and just now) after modifying the contents of the startup tab in msconfig. But the last time it happeend was long ago, so I couldn't really tell what happened. Its been narrowed down the 3 possible things (To my knowledge, maybe i have it all wrong).

I found a boot file, heres what it says:

[boot loader]
    timeout=30
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect

I messed with BIOS settings and now my BIOS takes up to one minute to load! I didn't turn off fast detect, and after the BIOS freezes at a full loading bar, it takes about a minute, then it just gives me the error that it can't find the primary hard disk.

2. marklab

marklab

MSCONFIG would not cause your HD to not be recognised by the BIOS. If your Bios is not seeing the HD there may be a loose wire. Bad cable of the HD may be going bad. Someone made a good point about spinup time in another thread. Myabe the BIOS is not giving the drive ample time to get to speed. If its a newer drive it may be having a problem with the motor. Try downloading Maxtor's HD check utility.

3. OneDeadlyBum

None of the cables are loose in any way, and considering the BIOS takes about a minute to load now, theres ample spinup time. It COULD be a bad cable (It came in the case bent in odd ways and I have fiddled with it to get things in and out), but then why would my BIOS still take forever to load, and why would it STILL be able to detect the HD right after pressing F1 or powering on, but not restarting?

It can restart now, but I have to press F1 to get the HD to be detected. The same thing happens with booting up now.

4. OneDeadlyBum

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/109149

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice