1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help - Restore files

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by river, Jan 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. river

river Thread Starter

Hi,

I just formatted and resinstalled Windows XP on a workstation. It had 2 HDD. I resinstalled Windows XP on C and did nothing with D (which was used for the Backups). After reinstalling Windows There is nothing on D. I don't know what went wrong I have reinstalled Windows many times before and have had no problems.

Anyway the backups from D are collected every week and backed up onto another machine using Windows NT Backup. The problem is that I cannot restore the latest backup, infact the only backup file that will allow me to restore is back in April last. The files I am after keep displaying the following message.

The file is unusuable please choose or select another file.

Please help, as I am in big trouble.

2. MysticEyes

MysticEyes Banned

Sounds like your problem has nothing to do with your latest Windows install. Your D drive must have had a previous problem that went unnoticed otherwise your backups should have worked. "The file is unusuable please choose or select another file" seems to indicate this.

3. Rockn

Rockn

Are the actual .bkf files on the old D drive or can you not access them at all? Try a recovery program like Restoration and point it to scan your D drive and restore the files, if they are there, to your C drive.
    http://www.snapfiles.com/get/restoration.html

4. river

river Thread Starter

Thanks for your replies and advice. I will give that a try.

R

5. lister

lister

If the files are restored and copied to the C drive, reformat the D drive with the manufacturers software. Then transfer them back.

You may also want to try a different backup method - I Use Cobian Backup (freeware) which can backup data and keep the directory and file structure; it can also backup incrementally at a set time.

A good tip when reformatting/reinstalling the OS is to disconnect any 2nd HDD beforehand - a moment of distraction can destroy a lot of work.

If the data recovery doesn't work, there are programs out there that are specifically for repairing damaged .bkf files (Google) - none free that I have found, though you can at least try the demos to see if they are recoverable.

6. redoak

redoak Gone but never forgotten

Look up "PC Inspector" via a search engine. I believe it is freeware. {redoak}

7. river

river Thread Starter

Cobian works a treat thank you for that. At the moment I am still trying to recover the corrupt file with Office Recovery. Bought the software - fingers are still crossed. I am never using Window Backup again.

R

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/433428

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice