1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

HELP!! Router won't connect!

Discussion in 'Networking' started by ruffnredy, Sep 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ruffnredy

ruffnredy Thread Starter

I just bought a LINKSYS Cable/DSL router and followed all directions. I have WinXP Pro & SBC Yahoo DSL. I even turned my firewall off. It keeps trying to connect but can't. I know I have the right user name & password. Any suggestions?

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

First off, does the DSL modem get a steady data light? If so, can you connect to the router and check the status? Does the status indicate the router is connected to the Internet?

If you can't even raise the router, please do this:

Open a DOS window and type:

IPCONFIG /ALL >C:RESULT.TXT

Open C:\RESULT.TXT with Notepad and copy/paste the entire results here.

3. ruffnredy

ruffnredy Thread Starter

I can connect w/out the router. The status on the router shows connecting; it tries, can't, and keeps trying.

4. JohnWill

I'd start by setting the router's WAN configuration to PPPoE and entering the account name/password for the SBC account. I've never used SBC's DSL, so I can't be any more specific, but it's hard to believe that it's not fairly simple as are other DSL providers.

5. ruffnredy

ruffnredy Thread Starter

I did that and checked my network settings. When I rt click on the connection icon on the task bar it says connected. But the router won't connect. It tries but can't. I'm sure I missed something simple but can't figure out what.

6. JohnWill

Did you check the router's configuration for the WAN interface?

7. ruffnredy

ruffnredy Thread Starter

I took it back & am going to try a different one. I'll post how it turns out. Thanks everyone.

8. mtown_onsite

mtown_onsite

What type of connection is the router trying to make? It should be setup for a pppoe connection, using your emailaddress and password.

I'm pretty sure sbc doesn't do mac address checking... so thats likely not the problem.

What type of dsl modem are you using? If its one of the newer ones (UHP) which handle the pppoe connection internally, you will need to disable this feature and set up the modem in "bridged" mode. This will allow the router to make this connection through the modem.

Also, after you connect your router to the modem, remember to powercycle the modem. Many dsl modems can't swap what device they are talking to on the fly.

9. ruffnredy

ruffnredy Thread Starter

I took it back & got a Belkin. I am NOT promoting one over the other but for me it practically installed itself & was up & functioning in 5 minutes!

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/270502

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice