1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help save my rubbish Seagate external hard drive!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Mr8, Aug 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Mr8

Mr8 Thread Starter

A few months ago (enough to void my warranty) I purchased a 250gb Seagate portable external hard drive. Since then I've seen how poor the drive really is encased in cheap metal it has received many dings. Now however it has become unusable as the USB connection has become loose meaning the connection has to be held in place constantly or it is lost.

I have been looking at enclosures as a possible fix to the connection problem (such ashttp://www.amazon.co.uk/IOMAX-External-Enclosure-Laptop-Powered/dp/B001EEQQ8Q/).

Would this solve the loose USB connection and ideally the bad quality casing? Or is there a far easier fix that I'm missing?

DRIVE SPEC:

Seagate FreeAgent Go 250 GB USB 2.0 Portable External Hard
    2.0 USB connection interface, 5 year manufacturer warranty, 256 bit encryption security software for maximum digital file privacy, Windows XP / Vista compatible.

If I've left any details out just ask, this is my first post so be kind :)

2. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

You bought this a few months ago with a 5 year warranty. What warranty did you void?

3. Mr8

Mr8 Thread Starter

That was just a quick explaining a long story. Basically I bought the drive while on holiday in America, and regardless I've lost the receipt and have no proof of purchase.

And more importantly I would rather improve this drive and make it more robust, would the enclosure work?

4. fairnooks

fairnooks Banned

Sure another enclosure would work...the main thing is to be more gentle on the drive and cord/connection...no matter what you get, its still going to be small and vulnerable to damage.
    Don't know how a FreeAgent Go comes apart, the colored lid is probably just glued down? You might be able to repair or have the connection repaired if you can get the cover off without damaging anything.

5. Mr8

Mr8 Thread Starter

Thanks, for the help I'll try a new enclosure.

Also I after having experienced a few of Seagate's products I've noticed that there not exactly high quality. It didn't take much at all for this to break. And I'm still putting up with the constant clicking of my 1.5tb non-portable external hard drive many of you will know about.

6. prunejuice

prunejuice

Regardless of the enclosure quality, the drive should not be subject to "many dings".
    The drive itself can be damaged by sudden shocks. Treat it like you would any other sensitive electronic equipment.

7. Mr8

Mr8 Thread Starter

Bought new enclosure, fitted great and the connection problem is solved.

Thanks guys

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1011888

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice