HELP! Security patch issue and update problem.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

ssmith4359

Security download KB929969 (support.microsoft.com) will not install on my PC because it is "not a valid Win32 application." My access to the internet is via Ethernet 10/100 NIC card and cable connection.

Also, the yellow icon for "Windows is dowloading updates" shows up in my task bar, but nothing happens. I have performed disk cleanup/defrag, but to no avail. I am using a very good ISS provided by my ISP, therefore, not needing the Windows firewall. No probls with viruses, etc. I reviewed my update history on the Windows Update site and show no updates since Feb. 2008 (with the exception of the above-mentioned security patch).

My computer skills are between that of "beginner" and "intermediate" (depending on how much of a senior-day I'm having).

I thank anyone who reads this for their time, consideration and assistance.

Peace Out.
NiteOwl

ssmith4359

Tx, techychick for the link. It worked well.

Do you have a solution for Part 2 of my post? (i.e. yellow shield in taskbar showing "downloading windows updates 0%") As I have a great firewall with my internet security suite, I do not utilize the Windows XP firewall.

I am set up for automatic updates but wind up having to manually download the security updates.

Thanks again and peace out.
NiteOwl

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online