1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help!!! Series of Problems

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Neatapooh, Feb 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Neatapooh

Neatapooh Thread Starter

This is my first laptop and I'm having trouble. Okay, first off i got my laptop connected to my router and it worked fine for about 2 months. Then, when i take it over my mom's house and try to use her router to connect to the Internet, but it doesn't work. So, i come back home thinking i can get back on the Internet, but i can't.

Please help me.

Things gone wrong:
    1. wireless connection wizard says i can't create a wireless connection
    2. when i click view all available wireless networks it says none are available in range when i know there are
    3. in the network setup wizard it says my wireless connection hardware is not connected
    4. message will pop up saying 1 or more wireless networks detected and the same thing happens in 2

Help would be greatly appreciated

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    For no. 3 make sure the wireless switch is on (assuming you are using the integrated wireless adapter).

What operating system? Brand and model of laptop? Brand of wireless adaprter?

3. warrior19

warrior19

Have you deleted all wireless profiles on the laptop.
    View Available Networks then click on the left 'Change the Order of preferred networks'. Then delete all profiles.

With all deleted retry View Available Networks and connect to your network and reenter the key.

4. Neatapooh

Neatapooh Thread Starter

There were no lists in my preferred networks and then it still wouldn't pick up ANY wireless networks. Another thing is how do i connect and disconnect my wireless hardware u were talking about.

More information:
    • windows xp
    • IBM thinkpad(i still luv my computer even though it's different)

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    With Windows XP sometimes there are multiple wireless utilities running; they conflict with each other and can give the symptoms you are experiencing. You are apparently using XP's Wireless Zero Configuration (WZC). Make sure there is not another wireless utility running--probably named IBM something or other, or named after your wireless adapter's manufacturer.

6. Neatapooh

Neatapooh Thread Starter

Where would i find the stuff that u mentioned in order to possibly get rid of the conflict???

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    If a task, in Task Manager. If a service, in Control Panel - Administrative Tools - Services.

Also, there may be an icon in the Notification Area.

8. warrior19

warrior19

Could you tell us the exact model of IBM Thinkpad please? T40???

Also can you say the wirless card model and manufacturer. If you dont know please goto...

START---CONTROL PANEL---NETWORK CONNECTIONS---WIRELESS NETWORK CONNECTION.

Right click Properties then you should see Connect Using....The Name Of Your Wireless Card????

Please post back the details. Then we can tell you if their is another utility available for the card which might be conflicting with WZC in Windows XP.

9. Neatapooh

Neatapooh Thread Starter

for terry net i don't really understand what you want me to do because i went there and there's a bunch of different stuff

10. Neatapooh

Neatapooh Thread Starter

for warrior19 i'm connecting using a Intel(R) PRO/Wireless LAN 2100 3B Mini PCI Adapter and i don't know what model

Something else:
    when i click start, run, and type in command, and then type ipconfig it says "ethernet adapter wireless Network connection Media state.....media disconnected and ethernet adapter local area connectio 2 and the same thing also.

11. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Since you have an Intel adapter you may have the Intel Proset utility running. If so that should show up in the Notification Area and in Task Manager. It includes an option to "let Windows manage the wireless."

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/901673

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice