1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help setting up a shared folder

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by labecs, Apr 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. labecs

labecs Thread Starter

Hi! I hope someone can help me with this. Before "homegroups" in Win 7, I used to have my computers in a home network, see both computers on my network, and then put a shortcut to a shared folder on my desktop and my roommate's. Then my roommate or I would just go there to check on a file the other had just put there, or I could send her a file, she could work on it and put it back. I have been struggling with homegroups like crazy, I can't get the computers to see each other, and I can't even find a way to put a shortcut on my desktop! What can I do to do this "the old way"? Both computers are connected to the same network, but I can't see the other one anywhere!

2. Bernardo

Bernardo

Firewall allowing file and print sharing?

3. Lance1

Lance1

4. jiml8

jiml8 Guest

Are both computers Win 7? What version? Creating a homegroup is apparently restricted to home premium and above.

Why not just enable file and printer sharing the way it worked prior to 7, and use the former style of networking? You have to do this anyway if you want to connect with any computers that are not Win7.

5. labecs

labecs Thread Starter

I'm still having problems even with the troubleshooting tips. Both are Win 7, Home Premium, so there shouldn't be a problem. However, I cannot figure out how to do it the old way in Win 7, Jiml8, how do I do it?

6. Bernardo

Bernardo

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You shouldn't really have to do anything to share the contents of the Public folder. If you want to share stuff outside the Public folder see page 3 of this article.

As Bernardo alluded above if you have a non-Windows firewall or security suite you probably need to configure it for the desired access.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/918191

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice