1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help! Setting up home network with 2 routers!

Discussion in 'Networking' started by fsuguy92, Nov 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. fsuguy92

fsuguy92 Thread Starter

Hey guys, so I recently signed up for Centurylink Prism TV and internet, they use a Cisco DDR2200 (modem+wireless router combo) which I've come to realize is only a "g" router, so I purchased a cheap Belkin N150 (which I intend to use as my main router). I've turned the wireless function off on the Cisco and have an ethernet cable running from a LAN port on the Cisco to the internet port on the Belkin.

The issue I'm having is how do I set up the IP addresses/DHCP servers for both routers? By default, the Cisco's IP address is 192.168.1.254 (I know, weird right?) with a DHCP range of 192.168.1.63 - 192.168.1.253. Whereas the Belkin's IP address is 192.168.2.1 . I guess I'm sort of at a loss on how to set this up to optimize my network. I appreciate all of the help!

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Why use both? Wouldn't it be easier to just replace the Cisco with the Belkin?

3. fsuguy92

fsuguy92 Thread Starter

the Cisco is only a "g" router so file sharing is slow, in addition its range is horrible and can't reach the back of my house (the Belkin can)

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

5. fsuguy92

fsuguy92 Thread Starter

Ah sorry, I didn't properly clarify! The Cisco is a modem/router all in one so I have no choice but to go through the Cisco first. I have IPTV and that is the only device that my provider has for their IPTV systems.

6. dlsayremn

dlsayremn

I would go with something like this as it puts all free ports on the same subnet. It might work with it on, but I would turn off the radio on the Cisco though to prevent interference.

Connecting two soho routers in a network
    Tutorial from Johnwill from the Networking Forum (Modified for your situation)

Note: The "primary" router can be an actual router, a software gateway like Microsoft Internet Connection Sharing, or a server connection that has the capability to supply more than one IP address using DHCP server capability. No changes are made to the primary "router" configuration.

Access the secondary router (Belkin)
    Disable the DHCP server in the secondary router.
    Setup the wireless section just the way you would if it was the primary router, channels, encryption, etc.

Configure the LAN IP address of the secondary router(Belkin) to be in the same subnet as the primary router (Cisco), but out of the range of the DHCP server in the primary router.
    For instance with your Cisco at 192.168.254 and the DHCP server addresses 192.168.1.63 through 192.168.1.253, I'd assign the Belkin router 192.168.1.1 as it's IP address.

Connect from the primary router's LAN port to one of the LAN ports on the secondary router. If there is no uplink port and neither of the routers have auto-sensing ports (most new ones do), use a cross-over cable. Leave the WAN port unconnected!

This procedure bypasses the routing function (NAT layer) and configures the router as a switch (or wireless access point for wireless routers).

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1078887

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice