1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

help setting up lantronix lmr16tc mini 10base-T repeater

Discussion in 'Networking' started by bmiano, Jan 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bmiano

bmiano Thread Starter

I am a beginner, so I apologize for my questions in advance.

I have a Lantronix LMR16TC mini 10base-t repeater, and I would like to use it in my home network. I have a cable modem, and would like to just run the cable from the modem to the lantronix, then from the various ports on the lantronix to the distribution hub that connects to the wall ports in my house. The house is wired with cat5e, all home run back to one location. I have tried this, but get only one working port.

I downloaded the install guide for this unit, but it is not helpful for someone with my limited understanding.

Can someone tell me if this device can be used in this way, or if I need to use something else?

Thanks,

2. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

You do realize what a repeater is used for, right? I doubt you have the need for this repeater. Also, if your modem doesn't function as a router, you'll have to get one to make more than one device share the same public IP.

3. bmiano

bmiano Thread Starter

no, i guess i don't. i was told it could be used like a hub or switch.

i am planning on getting a wireless router as well, but was trying to avoid having to buy one with so many ports. i thought the lantronix could split the wired internet connection throughout my house.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/976767

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice