1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help Setting Up My New(first) Laptop (please!)

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Ishnaya, Apr 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Ishnaya

Ishnaya Thread Starter

Alright so i'm going to be receiving my new computer in a few days and need tips on what i should start with once i receive it!...

I was thinking of maybe looking up how to partition my hard drive (do i have to format the computer to be able to accomplish this?)... My computer has come with a Trend Micro 3yr subscription (will formatting my computer wipe it off my computer (sry if doesn't make sense i'm new at this))...

What kind of software should i be getting that will help me with keeping my computer up to date (in security, performance, cleanliness??)

So pretty much what are the steps i should take after the moment i unwrap my computer (on my first boot... woohoo i can't wait to get it)

Thx,
    Ishnaya

2. 1002richards

1002richards Retired Trusted Advisor

Hi,
    Before you get carried away - as we all do!!
    Very early on - Make the restoration discs or reinstallation discs that'll be recommended by the vendor to rescue you if things go wrong.
    Another well regarded back-up / restore option is Acronis True Image
    http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/

This site provides independent reviews of free progs for a range of functions. The progs are freeware and free of ads/spam:
    http://www.techsupportalert.com/best_46_free_utilities.htm

I hope this is of help?
    Richard.

3. Hughv

Hughv

4. redoak

redoak Gone but never forgotten

One regularly recommended arrangement is for two partitions: "C" has the operating system plus all programs; the second has all the data files.

In addition to Acronis "TrueImage," "CobianBackup" is regularly recommended here. This will backup data files only, however.

Backups should be to an external hard drive or CD/DVD. The former is more efficient. It should be dedicated to backups and not be connected to power or computer, except when backups are being made. I have two folders there, one for the "TI" backups and the other for those done with "Cobian." My data files change every day, whereas my programs seldom do. Therefore, I use "Cobian" at least weekly for the data files partition. I don't image that partition with "TI," since it would be out of date the next day.

Good luck with the new computer!

{redoak}

5. caraewilton

caraewilton

When you get your new lap top have a look at what disks come with the machine. If there is a trend micro disk, ensure there is a serial number, then you should not have a problem installing the programme later if required.

These days it is not necessary to format a drive in order to partition it. In the past I have used paragon partition manager to partition drives without loosing any of the data already on the drive. That said I have not always been successful about an 80% success rate:( When things have gone badly I have had to reformat and start over again.

Personally I don't really see the point in partitioning drives but I am sure there are people here that can tell you why it is a good idea:)

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/700499

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice