1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help: Setting up wireless bridge.

Discussion in 'Networking' started by cheesysocks, Jan 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cheesysocks

cheesysocks Thread Starter

Hi guys!

I need to figure out a network setup for my house between modem connected to one wireless bridge connected to another wireless router connected to wired router.
    The reason why I decided to make this evil setup is due to insufficient range between my wireless router and desktop pc upstairs. However, in the room next to it I have a very good wireless signal and a possibility to bridge it to wired network installed in my house. But in order to do it I guess I need to bridge that wireless signal via wireless router or bridge to wired network. Any suggestions and setup guidelines how to arrange that?

Here is my equipment.

Modem: Cisco EPC 3000
    Wireless bridge: D-link DAP-1522 (can't access router menu via web page by typing in the default ip, any suggestions what can be causing it?)
    Wireless router: Belkin N1 f5d8231-4 ver.2011yy
    Router: some basic D-link 4 lan port router

Thank you!

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Your description sounds a bit scrambled; here's is what I think you are trying for ...

modem -> Belkin router -> DAP-1522 -> D-Link router -> PC, where the connection between the Belkin and the DAP-1522 is via Wi-Fi and the other connections are ethernet.

Correct?

What router menu (the DAP-1522 is not a router)? If you can't access the DAP-1522 by its default IP address maybe it was changed. Reset it to factory default settings and try again.

3. cheesysocks

Correct! unless the wireless bridge which is DAP-1522 needs to go before the wireless router which is Belkin.
    So how do I set up this combo to work?

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Do you have any of that working? Especially modem -> Belkin -> computer connected by Wi-Fi?

5. cheesysocks

Yep, everything works: modem, Belkin and D-link! Now just to establish wireless connection between Belkin and D-link, which i dont know how...?

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    First step is to connect a computer directly to the DAP-1522 and configure it properly in Wireless Bridge (or AP Client) mode. Study the user manual closely, as setup can be tricky. Then make sure that you can get an IP configuration assigned to a computer connected to the DAP-1522's ethernet.

The next step is then to decide whether you want to use the D-Link wired router. If you do, where (by the DAP-1522 or in your room?) and how (as a router or just as an ethernet switch?)?

7. cheesysocks

Okay i followed ur advice and went through the user manual for DAP-1522. Moreover, browsing the inet for the login to the DAP-1522 setup utility also generated a solution to the problem.
    In order to get access to the DAP-1522 setup menu's, it needs manual ip configuration on the PC to anything but the default DAP-1522 ip adress!!! I went with 192.168.0.22 and it worked, strangely but worked! Especially since its not mentioned in the manual... :s so hope it helps in the future to the others in need.
    From there it was quite easy, just followed the guidelines in the manual for setting up DAP-1522 in a bridge mode...
    So my installation now looks like this: Modem -> wireless router (Belkin N1) -> wireless bridge (DAP-1522) -> PC and Ethernet router (D-link) which leads to other PCs in the house.
    However, I'm not 100% fully satisfied, since I lost some of the internet connection speed!
    Here is my speednet results:
    A. When directly connected to the modem, my speed is almost DL: 110mb/s, UL: 5mb/s
    B. When connected via ethernet cable to Belkin N1, I have a very slim connection loss and its still around DL: 100mb/s, UL: 5mb/s.
    C. when wired to laptop from the bridge - [​IMG]
    D. when using laptop wireless connection to connect to the bridge - [​IMG]
    E. and the desktop PC that is connected via ethernet router which is last in the chain shows DL: 7mb/s, UL: 5mb/s
    How can I improve these numbers? especially the wireless connection from laptop to the bridge which is just a meter away in the same room no obstacles?

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Extremely poor manual IMO. Others that I have looked at clearly state how to access the device. I now find that yours does only in the Troubleshooting section and in a way that would be of no help to a great number of people: "Your computer must be on the same IP subnet to connect to the web-based utility." :(

Two possible explanations for the 63 Mbps speed you show.
    a. If the laptop's ethernet is 10/100 Mbps that's about the fastest it can handle.
    b. I don't know what to expect as maximum actual data throughput with 802.11n.

I think your bigger worries by far are what happens after the bridge. There seem to be extremely serious problems with cable(s) and/or that other router.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/975182

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice