1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

HELP! Setup did not find any HD' installed...

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by ruffnredy, Mar 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ruffnredy

ruffnredy Thread Starter

I hope I'm in the right forum, this could be a hardware issue. I have a brand new HP DV6000 laptop w/Vista installed. (I couldn't get it with XP) I purchased an identical hard drive & swapped them. When I try to install XP it gets to the point where it asks do you want to install? When I hit enter I get a screen telling me setup cannot continue because setup did not find any hard drives installed. I have another HP DV6000 with XP Pro so I tried that hard drive but as soon as it tries to boot it blue screens with a fatal system error & wants to reboot. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. The_JinJ

The_JinJ

May be that it's a SATA drive - you'd need to use F6 during install - you'll need a floppy or slipstream the drivers into the install image.

Is it a SATA or IDE drive?

3. ruffnredy

ruffnredy Thread Starter

Thank you for your quick reply. I think it's IDE. How do I tell the difference? It is whatever came with that model. It has the plastic adapter about an inch & a half long, 15 pin on one side, 7 pin on the other side of the separator/alignment space/pin to connect the HD to the MB. Isn't the SATA connection 4 pin? It has a 4 pin connection but it isn't being used. There is no floppy drive & even though I pick things up pretty quick I would need step by step instructions how to do just about anything other than a basic install.

4. The_JinJ

The_JinJ

5. ruffnredy

ruffnredy Thread Starter

OK, now I can tell the difference. It is SATA for sure. What is my next step?

6. ruffnredy

ruffnredy Thread Starter

BTW- Thank you for your help.

7. The_JinJ

The_JinJ

Do you have a floppy drive?
    If so you need to get the SATA drivers and burn them to a floppy disk - at the initial setup startup it prompts you to press F6 for 3rd party drivers - this is where you would load them.
    I'll have a look for the drivers in a few mins

8. The_JinJ

The_JinJ

9. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

10. ruffnredy

ruffnredy Thread Starter

It doesn't have a floppy drive so I'll try it the other ways suggested & let you know what happens.

11. ruffnredy

ruffnredy Thread Starter

I went here: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00758841&cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&product=1842155
    and followed the instructions & downloaded & installed the suggested programs. I have the driver downloaded as well. The instructions aren't very clear to me. I'm not sure if it is saying to install the drivers into the Windows CD or a floppy or make a new CD. It says drive A but there is no drive A on my laptop. I'm a novice at this sort of thing so if anyone can give me bonehead instructions on how to do this I'd sure appreciate it.

12. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

It looks like they are saying that once you use ultra iso to extract the 8 files from temp.ima, you can burn those files to a floppy OR CD, so sounds like they say using a CD will work. As you don't have a floppy, burn them to a CD.

So, when they say insert the disk into Drive A (step 5), just put the CD you burned into the CD-ROM Drive.

If that part of setup constantly asks for the disk to be put into drive a, you 'll have to follow one of the other articles to create a new WinXP Install disk that has the SATA drivers slipstreamed in.

HTH

Jerry

13. srhoades

srhoades

Vista now supports loading drivers by way of USB drives so a floppy is no longer required.

14. bogyi

bogyi

Go into the BIOS and find how many mode you can set for SATA?
    If you see option to disable the Native SATA, then try disable it.

Best.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/695526

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice