Help setup Nexxtech router and 2 XP machines

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

lizard1

Hi Folks,
I bought a Nexxtech router at Circuit City yesterday. So I hook up dsl speedstream modem to the Wan port on the router. Connect 2 pc's to the other ports on the router. Run the Nexxtech setup wizard. Great I am online with both PC's!. Reboot and get i/p conflict. I set each pc to obtain i/p address to automatically. I am not really sure what config was supposed to take place on the router itself which has address of 192.168.0.1. I can get to router setup by going to 192.168.0.1 and get to the admin functions. Any help on this would be appreciated.

Lizard

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Turn off everything, router, modem, and both computers.

Turn on the modem, wait for a steady connect light.
Turn on the router, wait for two minutes.
Boot up the machines.

This normally happens if you reset the router with a machine booted, the router loses track of the DHCP IP lease and reassigns the same IP address.

lizard1

I tryed that and it worked until machines got shut down and started up again . Then no internet.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
How are you posting this?

Let's see this for one of those machines that can't connect:

Start, Run, CMD to open a command prompt:

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
Paste the results in a message here.

If you are on a machine with no network connection, use a floppy, USB disk, or a CD-RW disk to transfer a text file with the information to allow pasting it here.

lizard1

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : THIS_PC
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/1000 CT Network Connect
ion
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-0C-F1-7F-75-9E
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.101
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Tuesday, September 11, 2007 8:56:58
AM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Tuesday, September 18, 2007 8:56:58
AM

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
This indicates a good connection to the router. This is the computer that doesn't connect?

If so, try these simple tests.

Start, Run, CMD to open a command prompt:

PING 192.168.0.1

Tell us the results.

PING 216.109.112.135

Tell us the results.

PING yahoo.com

Tell us the results.

lizard1

Fortunatly or Unfortunatly I now have internet on that machine so I can ping everywhere. Question... What would be the router's response to both machines being shut down. Then later started up . Would router recognize leased ip address? Should there be a time delay to on internet. Should router be shut down when machines are off?

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
You should not turn the router off, that's where the problems come from. :) Shutting down individual connected systems should not be a problem, the duplicate IP addresses come from the router being shut down or restarted while machines are active.

lizard1

John,
Thanks a bunch! I guess I will have to wait until later to reboot both machines and see if this problem remains.

Again thank you for all your help

Liz

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Let us know, I'm pretty sure that should not be an issue if the router remains on so it doesn't forget the IP addresses and MAC addresses they're leased to. :)

lizard1

For some reason after machines get shut down they lose net connection. I f I then shutdown computer,router and modem. and bring back up 1 at a time. (Fist modem,router then pc's)it reconnects . Odd

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
If the router is doing that, it might be time for a firmware upgrade on the router, or even a new router.

lizard1

That is just great. It is a new router. I know that doesn't mean anything but it still Pi...sses me off.

Thanks,
Liz

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online