Help...Setupx.dll file is corrupt

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

shempdevil

My computer will not start in normal mode...only in safe mode.
When I try to start it in normal mode, I get an error as soon as the desktop is visible, before my icons even pop up.
The error says that I have a MSGSRV error. It allows me to CLOSE or IGNORE, but either one of these choices cause my computer to stop booting up.
The details of the error tell me that there was a general protection fault with setupx.dll.
In order to get the computer working, I have to go into Safe Mode and rename setupx.dll...I usually rename it setupx.dll1.
But with the file renamed, I cannot install new hardware.

I have restored the file from my startup disk using System File Checker.
I have also downloaded another version of the file from a site and put it in my Windows/System folder.
Neither of these attempts were successful.

Any ideas????

I run Windows 98SE

Thanks

I had the same problem. I used Safe mode, ran disk cleanup, scan disk, and Defrag. If that doesn't work, go to the dos prompt and type:

scanreg/restore

Pick a date when your computer was working properly(but not the first date) and allow it to restore the registry.
(y)

shempdevil

Now I've done it.
I tried to reinstall windows 98SE from my installation disk.
It goes through the install up to where it tries to detect my hardware.
It gives me the MSGSRV error and then I have to click CLOSE or IGNORE.
Whichever one I choose, the setup goes no further.
When I restart, it picks up from the same spot in Windows Setup and the vicious cycle repeats.
What should I do???

shempdevil

ps. I am running Windows 98SE

I don't understand why when I reinstall 98SE that I am getting errors...I thought reinstalling would basically overwrite any errors

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online