1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help! Slow Internet - Broadband

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Nutech12, Apr 18, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. Nutech12

Nutech12 Thread Starter

Hi, I have a Touchstone TG3482ER router from our local Cable provider (Shaw).

My d/l speeds when hardwired to the PC range between 120 - 150 mbps. Somewhat short of the 600mpbs I am supposed to be achieving.

My cell phone can easily pick up 500 -550mbps. Which points to my PC. Something isn;t working as well as it should!

Current PC config: AMD 7750 black edition / 8 gb DDR2 ram / Asus mainboard M3N78-VM http://static.highspeedbackbone.net/pdf/(E3849)_M3N78-VM.pdf

I spoke to Shaw this morning and they are saying that my Network card should be a Gigabit, which according to the manual of the M/B above it is (port) I had been advised that the adapter needs to be 10/100/1000. Not sure what she meant by this.

Before I go and buy a new Network card https://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX29347 I figured I'd see what you guys would say first. i.e. would this newer adapter help or perhaps there are other reason(s) why I unable to see up to 600Mbps?

Thanks

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Could be defective router, defective cable (including problem with a connector) between router and computer, defective ethernet adapter, not the latest correct ethernet driver or some problem with the computer or operating system.

I cannot guarantee that I have identified all the possible culprits.

3. Nutech12

Nutech12 Thread Starter

Thanks, I have changed the cables, no change. Via wifi on our cell phones and iPads we can get over 500mbps. I was thinking to pickup a network adapter and plug it into my PCI express slot on the mainboard and see how that pans out.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I noticed that in your first post, but it doesn't entirely exonerate the router since you haven't tested the ethernet.

5. Nutech12

Nutech12 Thread Starter

To have the router tested I'll have to have a tech guy come in from the cable company. I'll let you know what comes from this.

I've had this PC for 10 years now. :) It seems to run just fine tho. Either that or I'm just being too cheap to shell a few bucks to get something a bit newer. :)

BTW, the cable folks say that the router is online and see the signal I'm getting.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1225961

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice