1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help speeding up computer

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by BeBo, Apr 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. BeBo

BeBo Thread Starter

Here's what I have now. I just purchased this about 1.5 months ago. I KNOW I need more RAM. Any other suggestions in the meantime?

Microsoft Windows XP, Home Edition, Version 2002, SP1
    Dell Dimension 2400 Desktop
    Intel Pentium 4 CPU 2.4 GHZ, 128 MB RAM

The problem is I've got a 37.2 GB Hard Drive and only 6.32 GB of used space. It seems to be crawling through programs. It doesn't respond well to switching between them either. It starts EXTREMELY slow. I'm not sure what "hanging windows" are, but if that means they run slow and just kinda of sit there for a long time, then I've got those too.

Can someone pleas help me? I'm interested to listen to any answers. FYI: I also have checked for any spyware or adware on my computer. My untrained eye dosen't see any.

Thanks in advance for everyone's help.

2. active95

active95

Start by looking at what you are loading in the same time with windoze ( use msconfig for that ). The stop the unneeded services ( www.blkviper.com) . Tweak the page file ( look for winXp tweaks). Use 16 bit colors instead of 32 bit colors if u have onboard video . Check the network settings ( as in , making use they are all on auto, instead of some "special settings" ). And of course get more RAM :D , because nothing beats 512 or more of RAM :D :D
    HTH

3. rosh325

rosh325

in addition....if you right click my computer..then properties.....then advanced...then performance settings...you can change some of the visual options (ranging from shadowing effects to slide techniques. many are not needed and just use up ram. If you want it to boot faster, search the threads for bootvis.exe a fun program which can speed up boot time

4. max 8

max 8

Dell should have known better than to sell a pc with only 128mb of RAM and WinXp as the o/s. To run winXP efficiently you'll need at least 256mb of RAM.

Like the others said, close out all unnecssary programs that are running in the background and make sure they don't startup everytime you reboot.

Also don't forget to defrag it.

5. TheDJK

TheDJK

Dell knows exactly what they are doing... creating an add-on sales opportunity. :D (n)

6. max 8

max 8

Unfortunately you might be right.

7. CAPSLOCK

CAPSLOCK

www.download.com and search for spybot.
    Update it and run it.
    You didn't specify on how you checked for spy/ad-ware so I thought this may help

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/224527

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice