1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

HELP!! Spyware knocked out device manager

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by melonhead, Sep 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. melonhead

melonhead Thread Starter

Hi -

I went to work on a client's computer and immediately recognized that they had the CWW trojan spyware or whatever the current name. Since they were being knocked off the internet frequently, I installed and ran spybot from a CD that I had brought and also CWW shredder. I was unable to downloads updates because of the internet conflict.

Anyway after I ran the spybot and CWW shredder I attempted to download upgrades and to get on the internet to install adaware and was unsuccessful. Went thru the normal routine to check problems. When I opened up device manager NOTHING is there. I went to system restore to try to restore and there are no restore points.

I attempted to add hardware, but when I click on it nothing happens.

Both McAfee and Norton on installed on their computer. I was going to uninstall them both and download AVG since they haven't updated or run either of them in two years and was going to download AVG. And, of course, I know they should only have one antivirus runnning. Anyway, I hadn't done that yet. However, after running the spybot they both came up with error messages when rebooting that someone unauthorized had changed settings and a virus or attacker could possibly be attempting to disable protection.

A msdos prompt box also appears titled c: winnt\xhovdkeh.exe with nothing in it.

Obviously, I cannot get on the internet so I didn't run hijack this since I could not copy and paste it to you. I took their computer to my house (orginally thinking I could network off of mine) that was before I discovered that they cannot detect their ethernet card. I mention this because if worse comes to worse I could retype hijack this into one of my computers. However, I was hoping the symptoms would prompt one of you pros to suggest a few actions that I could at least get back device manager to get internet or network connection.

I have turned off the computer and it does not recognize that hardward is missing.

Please help!

Thanks in advance

2. melonhead

melonhead Thread Starter

I failed to mention that the OS is XP.

3. melonhead

melonhead Thread Starter

Oops! I meant to post this in security. I'm going to recopy in there and I will post to have a moderator move.

4. cybertech

cybertech Retired Moderator

Did you repost or do you want this moved?

5. melonhead

melonhead Thread Starter

I reposted. Thank you.

6. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

In the future just report the thread as you did and ask for a move instead of reposting.

I'll close this one.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/269570

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice