1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help??? Stuck in Safe Mode - mouse won't move

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Kittikatt60, Feb 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kittikatt60

Kittikatt60 Thread Starter

:(I've spent the last two months just trying to get Windows to operate correctly on a new Mac. Unbelievable! I've re-installed XP SP2 too many times to count, finally had it up and thought it was running fine for the last week, then I went over to the Mac OS tried accessing windows through boot camp, it shut down the Mac OS, then when I tried to go back to boot Windows directly, I received the damning <windows root> \system32\hal.dll file is missing or corrupt - again.
    I've gone through a bunch of posts, tried a number of the instructions, and now have a worse issue; my computer is now stuck in safe mode in Windows, from using instructions of Apple's Discussion page. I'd disabled everything on the Start Up Tab in Configuration Utility and checked start up in safe mode there too, so now I can't get out of it, and since my mouse and keyboard won't operate in safe mode, I get to the log in page to select user but the mouse just won't move and pressing "CTRL +ALT+DLT" no response.

In the Recovery Console when I ran CHKDSK /r this is what it came back with...
    "The volume appears to contain one or more unrecoverable problems."
    97638572 kilobytes total disk space.
    90877508 kilobytes are available.

406 bytes in each allocation unit.
    24409643 total allocation units on disk.
    22719377 allocation units available on disk.

So what does that mean? Not sure what the " volume appears to contain one or more unrecoverable problems" means when it's not telling me what they could possibly be. Thoughts anyone?

If anyone knows or has some good advice on how to get windows back up and running correctly, and without wiping out my data - as I can't get it backed up, I don't have access to it, I would be tremendously grateful...
    2 months of this is really enough, dying to use my new system, let alone access my data and get it backed up, and just praying that I can...

Thanks so much,
    Kitti

2. rka0

rka0 Banned

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/680112

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice