Help switching harddrives pleas!!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

bradymonster

i need help takeing the 30 gig harddrive from this dell and switching it to a 160 gig harddrive ...both harddrives have win xp on the one is pro and the other home !!!!

Was the operating system on both drives actually installed while connected to this same computer?

If not, it's not as easy as plug n play.

bradymonster

they were in 2 diffrent computer ...the dell i am useing now has a 30 gig with xp pro on it and the 160 gig from the other computer has xp home ...i was hopeing i could just take out the 30 gig and put in the 160 with out formating or removing any thing.

Nope. Ain't gonna happen.

You'll be lucky if you can skate by with only an overinstall, but, it's going to be more like a complete format and clean install.

bradymonster

crap.....was hopeing to get the easy way out ....dont have any windows disk any more lol ...o well gonna have to get one again lol thanks for the info

You're welcome.

As a sidenote, you've got nothing to lose by connecting it to see.....probably get a lot of errors on startup, especially if the hardware was very different....ie. motherboard, chipset, etc. Probably won't boot all the way into windows.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online