1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help! System files and boot problems!

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by scottmorstad, Jan 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. scottmorstad

scottmorstad Thread Starter

I was organizing and cleaning up files on my old computer. I opened up my c: folder I had the usual folders like program files and windows and My Documents, and there were also about 10 other files which were not in a folder. I put them into a new folder and hit the restart button to see if my computer would still work properly. When trying to boot up I got a message saying:

Invalid system disk
    Replace the disk, and then press any key

I created a boot disk and when I boot with the boot disk, I get to dos with

A:\

and I don't know what to do next.
    I would like to be able to load windows so I can replace the files into the c:
    Edit/Delete Message

2. Rache

Rache Banned

If you've got a proper os disc :
    With the cdrom booting up you select 'install', then you will be prompted to enter the repair console in the next screen. Do not enter the repair console here but continue on by selecting 'install' again. Then you should be presented with the listed operating systems on your pc . This should give you the option to repair those installations. This way it will rewrite over the entire operating system but will leave your installed programs intact. The only difference I have seen using this method is that it wipes out every windows update..

3. Binary_Wolf

Binary_Wolf

Hiyas

If you're lucky and your drive is FAT32, once you get into the command prompt you could just cd C:\ and then into the folder where you moved all those files. Once in there just type "copy *.* c:\" and that should sort out your problem. If not, using the boot cd get to the first repair screen and press "R" for the first repair option. This'll take you to the recovery console. Once there and after logging into the desired installation you could pretty much do the same thing as i just described. It might be easier than doing a complete repair.

Regards
    BW

4. Elf-stone

Elf-stone

If you're running Windows98, in DOS get to the C:\ prompt and type scanreg/ restore. If you haven't rebooted too many times you can pick a date before your problem and the registry will revert to that state.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/435299

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice