Help!! System keeps crashing

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

mikek88

Hi all, I've been having trouble with my system locking up, blue screens, and programs randomly crashing. These things generally seem to happen while I'm playing games. I've tried reinstalling windows, and wiping my harddrive and reformatting. I've also tried using new RAM. If any of you could help me out with this It'd be appreciated!

Specs:
Windows XP Pro
Asus A7N266 w/ onboard Dolby Digital 5.1 and NVIDIA Geforce 2 MX (32mb)
AMD Athlon 1700+ XP
Western Digital 25gig 273AB
PNY DDR333 512mb
Antec Performance II SX835II w/ 350W Smart Power

Check your post in Hardware. Try to post in one spot. it will be easier for us to help

Hi,

What error message/s do you get when you get the Blue Screens ? Did it show up a particular file ?

I ask this because although my systems specs are different to yours, I suddenly started to get Blue Sceens while playing games last weekend - even though the computer worked well surfing, etc. In my case it gave at the bottom of the page this file message 'nv4_disp.dll'

Initially my Google searches pointed towards it being related to the drivers for GeForce4 Card - these I uninstalled and updated, rolled back etc countless times. But in the end on a whim I tested my 2 Ram Sticks separately and found one was faulty.

You might however read this that I also came across, not sure it applies in your case but read it, even if only to rule it out :

INFINITE LOOP -

http://members.home.nl/marf/Infinite Loop.html

http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=gen_forumsite&message.id=5152

http://pub29.ezboard.com/fcyberwizardfrm6.showMessage?topicID=53.topic

If this is your problem :

Experiment with different Graphics Drivers.

Test Ram sticks individually.

Test each Ram slot on your Mobo.

Try another Graphics Card.

mikek88

I have done all four of your mentioned options. The only thing I haven't tested is a new board, do you think that could be the problem?

dai

check your temps,you will probably find them in the bios under hardware monitor

It would really help if you could post the exact error message/s that you are receiving. Your description of the problem was similar to what happened to me last weekend thats why I ran through the things I tried.

However if you are getting a differen error there might be another cause.

mikek88

I know my Geforce2 is a little sub par, but it meets the system requirements for all the games I play. I have 768mb of memory.

what size power supply do you have? all those symptoms can be caused by under-power or failing power supply.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online