1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help!! System keeps crashing

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by mikek88, Oct 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mikek88

mikek88 Thread Starter

Hi all, I've been having trouble with my system locking up, blue screens, and programs randomly crashing. These things generally seem to happen while I'm playing games. I've tried reinstalling windows, and wiping my harddrive and reformatting. I've also tried using new RAM. If any of you could help me out with this It'd be appreciated!

Specs:
    Windows XP Pro
    Asus A7N266 w/ onboard Dolby Digital 5.1 and NVIDIA Geforce 2 MX (32mb)
    AMD Athlon 1700+ XP
    Western Digital 25gig 273AB
    PNY DDR333 512mb
    Antec Performance II SX835II w/ 350W Smart Power

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

No error messages?

Thats indeed strange, BSOD's should still have some info.

3. Linkmaster

Linkmaster

Check your post in Hardware. Try to post in one spot. it will be easier for us to help

4. RSM123

RSM123

Hi,

What error message/s do you get when you get the Blue Screens ? Did it show up a particular file ?

I ask this because although my systems specs are different to yours, I suddenly started to get Blue Sceens while playing games last weekend - even though the computer worked well surfing, etc. In my case it gave at the bottom of the page this file message 'nv4_disp.dll'

Initially my Google searches pointed towards it being related to the drivers for GeForce4 Card - these I uninstalled and updated, rolled back etc countless times. But in the end on a whim I tested my 2 Ram Sticks separately and found one was faulty.

You might however read this that I also came across, not sure it applies in your case but read it, even if only to rule it out :

INFINITE LOOP -

http://members.home.nl/marf/Infinite Loop.html

http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=gen_forumsite&message.id=5152

http://pub29.ezboard.com/fcyberwizardfrm6.showMessage?topicID=53.topic

If this is your problem :

Experiment with different Graphics Drivers.

Test Ram sticks individually.

Test each Ram slot on your Mobo.

Try another Graphics Card.

5. mikek88

mikek88 Thread Starter

I have done all four of your mentioned options. The only thing I haven't tested is a new board, do you think that could be the problem?

6. dai

dai

check your temps,you will probably find them in the bios under hardware monitor

7. RSM123

RSM123

It would really help if you could post the exact error message/s that you are receiving. Your description of the problem was similar to what happened to me last weekend thats why I ran through the things I tried.

However if you are getting a differen error there might be another cause.

8. Tuppence2

Tuppence2

9. mikek88

mikek88 Thread Starter

I know my Geforce2 is a little sub par, but it meets the system requirements for all the games I play. I have 768mb of memory.

10. milomorai

milomorai

what size power supply do you have? all those symptoms can be caused by under-power or failing power supply.

11. mikek88

mikek88 Thread Starter

Antec 350W SmartPower.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/171110

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice