Help, system restore not working.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

john13134

I have tried to perform a system restore recently and whenever I do I am presented with this message

"the restore point selected was damaged or deleted during the restore"
I tried many restore points but I keep getting the same message.
I run SFC /SCANNOW and it doesn't detect any problems.
Startup repair also did not detect anything.
also I have tried chkdsk,turned system restore on and off and set Volume shadow copy to automatic but I still get "the restore point selected was damaged or deleted during the restore."

Why is this happening? and how can I fix this?

thanx in advance.

What defragger are you running? Have you accessed the system drive from somewhere else with another OS?

It sounds like the restore points were damaged somehow. Most failures of SR are due to irreversible changes made to the system that make it incompatible with a restore point system state. But you have a specific error involving the registry.

Do you have any other problems with the system?

john13134

It sounds like the restore points were damaged somehow. Most failures of SR are due to irreversible changes made to the system that make it incompatible with a restore point system state. But you have a specific error involving the registry.

Do you have any other problems with the system?
Well if it means anything about 2 weeks ago I suffered lots of BSOD's
but I managed to resolve that somehow and haven't experienced any after.

Besides this dreadful message everything else is functioning as it should Elvandil.

Run Disk Cleanup and go to the second tab to delete all but the last system restore points. Then, make a new one and see if that one works.

If not, turn off System Restore completely and reboot to clear all the points and reset it, and then turn it back on.

It could be that in "cleaning", the archive was damaged by a deletion.

But you should also be prepared for drive failure. Then, everything will be gone.

Free drive backup software (imaging, cloning, and archiving - backups can be created on a second hard drive, internal or external, or on DVD's, or BluRay disks. One BluRay disk will hold most peoples' entire system drive's backup at 25 GB's using compressed images, 50 GB's double-layer):

Paragon Backup & Recovery 2012 (Recovery boot CD or USB key)
Macrium Reflect (Free)
O&O Disk Image Express or (mirror)
Easeus Todo Backup
Acronis True Image For WD (reduced, free version for WD drives - cloning and imaging)
Acronis True Image For Seagate (DiscWizard) (reduced, free version for Seagate drives - cloning and imaging)
ODIN (open-source)
Redo Backup & Recovery (Boot CD)
Clonezilla Live (A bootable CD of Debian with Clonezilla.)
Drive Image XML
PING (Partimage is not Ghost) (Boot CD with option Clam Antivirus)
Partition Saving
Clonezilla
Passmark OSFClone (Bootable, cloning only)
ImageX and GImageX (Geekware. Small images due to "single instancing" and allows partial, selected restore of image parts. Used by Microsoft to apply disk image to drive during "installation" of Windows 7.)

There are also many commercial products with more features.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts