1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help! Systems Mechanic 7 Is this real Rootkit?

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by escalader, Feb 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. escalader

escalader Thread Starter

C:\Program Files\iolo\Common\Lib\ioloDMVSvc.exe Hiddenprocess

When I ran BD 10 rootkit finder the above exe shows up.

Using SM 7 itself is says this is an essential yet hidden process from iolo.

BlackLite from F secure also detects it and gives a rename option.

My guess is this really is needed but why the hidden process?

Advice please.

2. escalader

escalader Thread Starter

Further research shows this is a rootkit put in by SM 7. I disabled it, using SM 7!

Reran BD 10 rootkit finder and it is gone!

SM7 still works so it's bad news for iolo to be seen doing stuff like this!

THey have not answered my question to them on this, or others who challenged it either.

Unbelievable

3. Byteman

Byteman Gone but Never Forgotten

Hi, There are other posts around sites about this process, and what it might be, but all point to a poor program, for the most part.

I've used SM 5 a few years ago, and it caused me to have to revert back to a previous Registry in win98se.

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=161038

http://www.wrensoft.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-1451.html

I see a lot of other posts about it conflicting with several programs, I'd get rid of it.

And no, I don't think it is a "real rootkit", but it does hook into system processes as those other posts and your own findings show.

4. escalader

escalader Thread Starter

Yes, thanks, it is not getting good press these days.
    SM 7's
    C:\Program Files\iolo\Common\Lib\ioloDMVSvc.exe Hiddenprocess disabled still allows the utility to work so I'm hanging with it for now ! I will not use it to do zip to the registry but it is good at getting rid of junk files and internet tracks .

What I think iolo can't do with my pc is send reports back to base or automatically look for updates. Who cares I can do that myself!

5. escalader

escalader Thread Starter

Upon further reflection I deleted SM 7. Any program using methods of rootkits should be rejected. IMHO of course.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/544444

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice