1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help to decipher jumpers

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mobo, Oct 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mobo

mobo Thread Starter

I have an old pent. 1 pc with this board which holds both edo as well as sd ram. Along side the dim sockets is a jumper for the dims. One setting is for 3.5 and the other for 5. It is set to 3.5 but what exactly is the purpose of this is what I would like explained.

2. Byteman

Byteman Gone but Never Forgotten

Voltages for memory I would think.....DIMMS usually 3v or 3.3v SIMMS 5v....

but, lets make sure....the link you posted brings up "area under construction on my pc....can you post the exact model of board, and if there is a revision number, that too?

3. mobo

mobo Thread Starter

4. mobo

mobo Thread Starter

5. Byteman

Hi, You should find what you need here:

http://www.megasat.ch/totalhardware/m/A-B/33999.htm

I dont see any jumpers that have to do with memory, though.
    You are looking at the system voltage for CPU
    Your board has jumpers for CPU voltages, speed, etc. You will have to check the jumper positions against the CPU you have. Are you sure you know the correct speed CPU you have in there? Often, BIOS can default to a low setting or be under or overclocked. The user manual has a good diagrammed explanation of jumpers. Use your Google images link to see it.

6. mobo

mobo Thread Starter

Thanks, your first post made a lot of sense of it i think..

7. Byteman

No, I dont think so, read the edited post I made!!!! It seemed pretty logical, but I dont think you need to change a jumper to use either type of memory chips.....but, you need to use only one type DIMM or use SIMMs..... the voltage jumper is for the CPU I believe, do NOT change it unless you review what you have!!!!

8. mobo

mobo Thread Starter

No these jumpers actually say dimms on the board. The other jumpers for cpu fsb and multiplier are on the other end of the board by the cpu. the jumper in question is # 18 up by the dimms.

9. Byteman

Hi, I cannot get to a large enough pic to see any numbers on pic...
    The manual I am looking at does not show a board that uses both SIMM and DIMM memory....on it, J18 is for a com port...
    you must have the MMX capable board and I am looking at a pre-MMX pic....will keep trying.

10. mobo

mobo Thread Starter

It is the mmx indeed.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/172218

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice