1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help to get rid of unwanted download

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by simplybeavis, Jan 7, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. simplybeavis

simplybeavis Thread Starter

Hi

After going to a site that offered help for the game Hopmon, the problems began.
    I have an annoying problem when I log onto the internet, which I can't get rid of.

As soon as the connection is made I get a pop up "download box" offering a "free scratch card" It has no x button to close it and the help button that it displays does not work.
    I have searched thru the find files and there is nothing there to indicate this software present. It is obviously under some type of file I cannot recognize, therefore, cannot get rid of. It is extremely annoying as it mentions if I accidently accept the offered download, it will reconfigure my task bar, homepage, etc.
    Please can anyone tell me how to get rid of this.

The description below is an extract from the acceptance message that the download posts.
    ------------------------------------------------
    - I further understand that search tool bar will be added to my web browser which will remain visible as long as the software is installed and agree that I wish to use your search engine for my web browsers default error page.

- To insure you always have the latest version and for your convenience this software will automatically update itself from time to time once installed. Also we will download other companies programs to your computer which you will have the choice to install or not install once downloaded.

- If you decide to change your homepage at a later date we will ask you each time you use our program if you would like to set your homepage to our search engine.

- I understand that, by accepting these terms and conditions, bookmarks will be added to my favorites.

- In order for us to keep this software free we will open advertisements while you surf the web.

- To prevent your browser from becoming cluttered when our toolbar is installed, any other toolbars you currently have visible will be deactivated. They can be restored manually through the Internet Explorer "View" menu.

- Once installed if you decide to change your start or search page this information will be sent back to our server. Also information in regards to your browsing will be sent to our servers, such as how long you surf for, and your surfing habits.

2. steamwiz

steamwiz

HI simplybeavis

Please Download and install SpyBot,

http://www.lurkhere.com/~nicefiles/spybot11r3.exe

click the online tab to search for and download the updates, then shut down and relaunch SpyBot.

Go to the Settings tab > File Sets, and uncheck 'System Internals' and 'Tracks' .
    These aren't needed for our present purpose, and you can always experiment with them later on.

Finally, after closing down Internet Explorer, click 'Check for problems', and have SpyBot remove all it finds 'Fix selected problems'

you may have to run spybot more than once to clear everything

-----------------
    If this does not solve your problem

If you post your startup list we may be able to spot something

Please post your startup list by doing the following :-

Please go here and download startuplist 1.5 :-

http://www.lurkhere.com/~nicefiles/startuplist15.zip

Download to any folder or your desktop
    Unzip the zipfile
    Double click the exe file
    go to Edit - select all - copy - and paste the results in a new post here

steam

3. simplybeavis

simplybeavis Thread Starter

Steam

A compleat sucsess!!

I can't thank you enough for your help, but I will try.

THANK YOU

simplybeavis

4. steamwiz

steamwiz

Hi simplybeavis

[tsg=yourewelcome][/tsg]

steam

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/111852

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice