Help to install Samsung 970 EVO 250GB SSD M.2 NVMe

genubi

Is this a good idea?
My thought is to install the m.2 NVMe, per the manual, but then install the OS on it so I will use the old 1 gig HD for storage.
I would need help getting it back configured, installing the OS and configuring the boot up.
How to remove the OS, as I want it on the new ssd?
Once I remove the OS, where do I get the new one? We no longer have DVD's with recovery software.
My thinking is that I first make a bootable windows 10 thumb drive. Next, download all the drivers onto the thumb drive.
Then install Windows (But I am not sure where I am getting it from)
Good plan? Just need a little guidance.
Thanks
Michael

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.9
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit, Build 18362, Installed 20200915011206.000000-240
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-8250U CPU @ 1.60GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 142 Stepping 10, CPU Count: 8
Total Physical RAM: 12 GB
Graphics Card: Intel(R) UHD Graphics 620, 1024 MB
Hard Drives: C: 914 GB (880 GB Free); D: 16 GB (1 GB Free);
Motherboard: HP 83C8, ver 32.64, s/n PGSRP2CNNAS11W
System: Insyde, ver HPQOEM - 0, s/n 8CG8193L8D
Antivirus: Windows Defender, Disabled

crjdriver

You can clone your old drive to the new one using the samsung data migration software. FWIW I would opt for a clean install of windows, drivers, etc. Up to you which way you want to go.
If you clean install windows, all you need to do is make the bootable usb drive using the media creation tool;
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Note IF you clean install, you will need to go to the support page for your system and download the drivers you need ie chipset, sound, lan, video, etc.

genubi

Sounds easy enough. I like the idea of a clean install. I guess that as I do the OS reinstall i will be prompted to the drive where I want it installed.
At what point is the old OS removed? Is that all part of the media creation tool? Or do I do that separately?
I recall from doing installs in years past there was an order that my old Dell liked the drivers installed in. Is that still true? If so, what is the order for install?
We dont reinstall windows like we use to. Use to be a routine annual cleaning procedure.
Thanks so much.

you would have ONLY the m.2 drive installed...... pull the cables from any other harddrives (with computer off ofcourse)
then insert the usb drive with the windows 10 install ....power on,
it will boot to the usb and start the windows install....follow the prompts

crjdriver

At what point is the old OS removed?
It is removed when you delete ALL partitions on the drive. Let setup create partitions as it see fit.
Make sure you do what replay said; have only the M.2 drive installed when you install windows.
There are numerous guides on how to clean install win10. Do some reading before you attempt this task OR have a knowledgeable friend watch you.

genubi

Im comfortable installing the os. Lets see if I am clear on the directions.
I first install the M.2 drive, by itself. then go back and install the 2.5" drive?
When I do the install of the M.2 drive, I will disable the original installed 2.5" HD, pull the cables.
With the M.2 installed, I boot into the BIOS and change the boot order to the usb.
Then I boot to my Windows 10 bootable thumbdrive and install windows on the M.2 drive.
Ok, if that is all correct, good. Otherwise please let me know where I went wrong.
Now, how do I get the 2.5" drive back active? It has windows installed on it. I want to clean that off. I will use that drive to store data.

crjdriver

No, you are making it way too complicated.
You only install windows on the M.2. Have only that drive connected when you do the install. Once done, connect any other drives you want and use them for storage, data, whatever.
Most motherboards have a quick boot menu so you do not have to change the boot order. Since this is a hp, it may or may not have this option. Read your manual.

genubi

The old 2.5" drive will still has the original windows installed. I think I want to wipe that clean, right? And dont I need to change the boot order in the bios? I am setting up the new SSD with the OS. The plan is to use the old 2.5" drive for storage.
The service manual is great but it does not cover upgrading.
Thanks.

crjdriver

You can just format your old drive after the install is complete.
And dont I need to change the boot order in the bios?
You only need to change the boot order IF you do not have a quick boot menu. Again read your manual to find out if you have this option.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online