Help to Quit Smoking

bordercollie

Hello everyone - I know that there will be some of you out there (including myself) who have included stopping smoking in their New Year Resolution list. I have smoked for many years and have attempted to quit several times, but always fail because of lack of support. I thought it might be a good idea if the people trying to quit, and also the non-smokers, could help and support each other. What do you think ?

That sounds like a great idea! :)

Although I have no personal experience with this, (and don't plan on gaining any), I wish all of you who are trying to kick the habit the best of luck in quitting. :)

Rukee

Banned
I smoked for many many years and quit about 12 years ago.
The best way to do it is cold turkey. Tobacco is an addiction which effects your brain. You have to tell yourself YOU are stronger then those dang drugs they spike those siggies with and you are taking back control of your life! Vow that the pack you have now will be the last pack you will ever smoke and that you are going to be smoke free whether you like it or not. Tell all your friends you are stopping and to expect you to be a ***** for a couple days, but if they are your friends, they`ll understand and help you though. DON`T CHEAT!!
Just stop and be smoke free from that point on. You can do it!! It`s only three days that the physical addition has a hold on you, so if you can just make it three days, the rest is in your head.
Now, seeing someone with a smoke in their hand is about the most unattractive thing I think I`ve even seen!! :yuck:
[Tony Little voice] You can do it!!

Smoking is a crutch for me. Whenever anything happens one of the first things that enters my mind is cigarette. If I have to wait to have that smoke until something is dealt with the urge is just stronger when I finally have my hands free again.

I need to stop, cancer is a terrible disease as is emphysema and everything else smoking can cause. I think I will give it a go. I have a few packs left and I know I won't stop until they are gone but I am going to try.

bordercollie

Hiya Scott - you more than most will find it difficult to stop at the moment, but if you are going to try then there will be others here to help and support you. I will be having my last cigarette (or 10) at the stroke of New Year. I know it's not going to be easy, but I am going to give it a try. I stopped in August of this year and managed to go until mid-November, when like you I needed a crutch. Its the worst thing I ever did because I didn't really want a cigarette, just thought I did, and it made me feel nauseas, but the first one is the beginning of starting again. Good luck and see you here I hope. (y) :)

:) (y) Good Luck. You maybe interested in the following.

Good Reasons for Quitting

Quitting smoking is one of the most important things you will ever do.

*You will live longer and live better.
*Quitting will lower your chance of having a heart attack, stroke, or cancer.
*If you are pregnant, quitting smoking will improve your chances of having a healthy baby.
*The people you live with, especially your children, will be healthier.
* You will have extra money to spend on things other than cigarettes.
http://www.cdc.gov/tobacco/quit/canquit.htm

bordercollie

tgg thankyou. Should have known I could count on your support :D and don't ever start smoking it will be the one, biggest, regret you will ever have :)

Rukee Thank you - everything you said is 100% true and if you managed to stop after a long time smoking, then I have no excuse have I?

Bordercollie
All I can say is stick with it. 2 1/2 years I finally managed to quit.I had for some reason came to the decision to quit. I talked with the nurse at my local doctors and even put off stopping for few weeks while we went on holidays. I used the patches for few weeks and with a weekly appointment with the nurse for about 10 weeks (doing CO tests and BP) was all the help I needed this time. It still isn't easy but the extra money helps. I've now been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes so I have to rid myself of the weight I put on after giving up smoking.
Overall a good thing though.

Good luck to you stick to the task and a Happy New Year.

Howard

bordercollie

bigh47 - thank you. I stopped last time with Zyban - not only does it stop the cravings but it also has a calming effect (it was originally marketed as an anti-depressant but didn't work, but they noticed that it helped people to stop smoking). I was doing fine until I was stupid enough to have just the one cigarette - this time I am determined that will not happen. I also put on 30lbs in weight in the three months I stopped and have also been told my blood sugars are raised, probably because of the excess weight. I don't know if I dare tell you this - I am a medical secretary and work for 5 Doctors - I really have no excuse to keep smoking at all.

Happy New Year to you too

Sandra

Hi Bordrer Collie,:) I wish you the best of luck in quitting smoking.I struggled with it for years before quitting.What helped me was getting some excerise and using sugarless candy instead of cigarettes.I know this sounds kind of funny getting advice from someone who gets loads of smoke in his lungs from welding:D Hang in there and take it one day at a time.

bordercollie said:
tgg thankyou. Should have known I could count on your support :D and don't ever start smoking it will be the one, biggest, regret you will ever have :)
You're welcome :)

All things in moderation, including moderation. Here's hoping that medical advances and good genetics bail me out of the consequences of my bad habits.

Rukee

Banned
If you think about it, cigarets are the only product on the market that when used as directed... kills it intended users. Who in their right mind would continue to smoke them knowing that up front??? How is it it can even be legal?? If you or I made chemicals in our back yard and unwillingly or unknowingly to you- poisend(sp?) you with them only to make you hooked on those chemicals to keep you coming back for more so I could make a proffit.. till you finially died of the other chemicals in the product/substance, they`d thow us in prison for having a meth lab.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online