1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

help to reformat hard drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by djc45, Jan 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. djc45

djc45 Thread Starter

Can anyone help with reformatting my hard drive? I have tried to do it 4 or 5 times but I am not sure if I have done it right
    I got a message saying that it could not copy all the files at 99% as I remember and did I want to continue and I chose yes it installed windows xp 2007 but after a short while when I came to reboot it would not boot up I hit f11 and I got this on the screen
    Windows root
    System 32
    Ntoskrnl exe
    Search for boot record from ide-o ok or something like that
    I also get a musical note symbol where it shows to boot from the hard drive in the dos start up box in the box that says boot from floppy or cd rom ect
    Sorry if I haven’t explaind everything in a tech way

2. bonk

bonk Banned

If you are running Microsoft windows NT 4.0 on a partition larger than 7.8GB this issue can occur if the boot files are located outside this limitation. When this error occurs your computer will have the error message as shown below.

OS Loader v4.01
    Disk I/O error status=00000001
    Windows NT could not start because the below file is missing or corrupt: winnt\system32\Ntoskrnl.exe
    Please reinstall a copy of the above file.

Was this the error recieved?

If your system partition is larger than 7.8GB you will need to delete the partition and recreate the partition to 7.8GB or less. Additional information about this issue can be found on Microsoft KB Q224526.

3. djc45

djc45 Thread Starter

thanks for the reply Bonk
    when i formatted i did see a small partion but i cannot remember what size it was and i was unable to install windows xp on that partion but i cannot remember what it said or what size it was
    at the moment i have windows xp installed and i dont know how to find out how big the partion is
    i use a gprs to connect to the internet and it was fine before i formatted now it connects ok but then disconnect after a few mins
    the modem is fine on my other laptop
    should i do a reformat again on my desktop
    grateful for your advice

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/537353

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice