1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved help to replace older damaged motherboard with new

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by farmerguy101, Jan 28, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. farmerguy101

farmerguy101 Thread Starter

Ok, so first let me say thank you for any and all help I may receive here. THANK YOU.

In 2008 I built my own computer and it worked fine. In a three or four years I added ram and no longer had a working computer. It got really hot, and I put the old back in but already damaged. I tried to buy a new motherboard like the one I had but it was discontinued then. So I set my homebuild aside and got a hp at walmart, which I still use by the way. Fast forward to today, and I want to get my homebuild working again, only better than ever. Which is why I am here, seeking a good solution to my problem.

motherboard mb gigabyte ga-ep35-ds3l p35 rt
    cpu intel/c2q q6600 2.40g 775 8m r
    graphics card vga evga 384-p3-n851-ar 8800gs 384m
    power supply psu ocz600sxs 600w rt
    ram mem 1gx2/g.sk f2-6400cl5d-2gbnq r
    hard drive hd 500g/st 7k 32m sata2 st3500320as
    card reader rosewill/rcr-102 rtl
    dvd burn asus drw-2014s1t 20x rt
    cpu cooler/arctic p4/acfz7-pro r

windows xp

Is there a modern quality motherboard I can just plug in, or perhaps this whole setup is so dated that it would be best to just basically start over with modern stuff and maybe reuse some components or maybe not. Opinions and advice appreciated. Thanks.

2. metallica5456

metallica5456 Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Andrew
    I don't mean this in a bad way....but that system is about 7 generations old.

The only possible thing that be worth saving might be PSU, but if it was me I'd sell it as is and get what you can outta it and put it towards a new build.

3. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

If you really want one, have you tried Ebay?? I saw one on there.

4. angelr82

angelr82

First Name:
    Angel
    This MB will run your PROC but you will need DDR3 Ram:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128536

This MB will run your PROC and DDR2 Ram but its a MicroATX:
    http://www.amazon.com/Intel-Core-Quad-Motherboard-BLKDG43GT/dp/B002M9SOYG

I'd use the second one personally as it has good on-board graphics already with HDMI

You should be able to rip out the old board and replace with the new one and get the system to "POST"

Once you can get the system to post all you have to do is run a repair on your OS which you mentioned is XP.
    To do this you will need your original XP Pro or home Media.

Stick in your XP CD and boot from it; once it runs through and you can begin the setup you will need to select the repair option.
    **Note! - there are two repair options in XP. Do NOT choose the option to repair via recovery console. You are looking for the second one which is typically after you hit F8 to agree and continue with setup. Once you do this windows setup will look for existing OS on the hard drive and you can hit "R" for repair. Setup will copy the needed files to re-install XP over the old install, leaving your files and programs in tact.

Once setup is finished you will need to install all the drivers for your new MB and you're done. Have fun with the ba-gillions of windows updates that are needed.

Hope this helps.
    ~AR

5. DaveBurnett

And all the updates of course.

6. replay

replay

I would bet that if you dismantled that old computer
    Did a out of case build on a box......chances are it would boot right up
    Those gigabyte mobo's from that era were very robust and reliable

7. farmerguy101

replying to angelr82
    I seem to have lost my xp disc, and I just realized that xp is no longer supported by microsoft. So maybe I should go to windows 10? I am thinking the gigabyte mb is the one as it is new and the intel mb is used or refurbished only. GEEZ what a messs.

8. farmerguy101

reply to replay:
    So why would an out of case built work when it wont in the case? Which I don't know how to do anyhow.

9. replay

replay

A lot easier to diagnose
    Change out memory
    Try another power supply
    Reseat processor.......w/new thermal paste
    Re attach heat sink/fan.......etc....etc
    You said u had overheating problems.....right?

10. farmerguy101

yes but not until I put new ram in. If I remember right, it was the new ram that was getting way hot right away. I put the old ram back but damage apparently already done.

11. replay

replay

how to do a out of case build
    there is a chance that the gigabyte board is toast (installing the ram incorrectly)
    but i like to MAKE SURE before i trash a mobo

12. DaveBurnett

Sounds like you got the wrong voltage RAM maybe??

13. farmerguy101

Thanks for all the replies. So here is where I am right now: I found that I had purchased a used motherboard just like the original and set it aside and forgot about it. So I am going to put this used motherboard in. I also discovered that my original ram which worked good has gotten lost, so I have some more like it ordered. I plan on installing the used motherboard with the new ram and firing it up to see what happens. Of course I dont know what operating system is on the used motherboard. I hope to end up with windows seven, which I should have available, and then maybe later go to windows 10, or maybe not.

14. replay

replay

Operating systems are not on motherboards.......it would be on the harddrive

15. farmerguy101

Ok so that means xp is on the hard drive. I have a dell reinstallation cd for windows xp home including service pack 2. Hopefully I can do a repair on my homebuilt as stated earlier. I also have a windows 7 oem system builder pack that was used once and hopefully can be used again, but doesn't seem to have a code of any kind with it, perhaps it is on the disc? So I guess I should just go ahead and fire it up and see what happens after I get the used mb and new ram in it?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1165107

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice