1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help to repurpose Mirra 500GB personal server

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by paulkruger, Mar 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. paulkruger

paulkruger Thread Starter

I am looking for some help in repurposing an unused Seagate Mirra Personal Server. I want to use it as a media server for home entertainment, specifically as a digital juke box.

I found an old forum on this but am having problems and hoping someone here can shed some light on the issues I am having. The system does not have a CD or floppy drive.

The drive from this is a Seagate Baracuda ST3500841A 500GB drive. The Bios is not accessible yet as it is custom and password locked. The form explains how to install FreeDos to the hard drive using another computer then flashing the bios with the default Award bios which will grant access to the rest of the project.

I am having problems getting a boot from the hdd after installing FreeDos to it. The screen displays "Verifying DMI pool data" and never goes beyond that point. Since it is not possible to access bios settings until I can clear the custom settings, I am totally stuck.

I did plug in a drive I had from a linux box and it does boot that drive but I am embarrased to admit I forgot the passwords for the linux as it has not been used for a long time. Also the utilities I have to flash the bios are DOS not linux anyway.

I used the disk utilities to clear the HDD and set to all zeros so I would start clean. The FreeDos setup completes successfully but still cannot boot with that drive. This is the stumbling block. If I can boot I can run the utility to flash the default bios and should be good to go.

Any ideas what I can do to get a bootable HDD with a form of DOS on it so I can just flash bios? After that I can set to boot from external USB CD drive to install my linux to the hard drive.

The MoBo is an EPIA 5000V REV.3

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1044295

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice