1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

help to restore XP

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by broknangl13, Oct 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. broknangl13

broknangl13 Thread Starter

A friend of mine called himself fixing my PC, he dumped my hard drive and installed windows 2000 server. I have been trying to use my recover disks to set it back to specs with windows XP back on it. It will not read from the discs and boots up as normal. I do have a different CD drive but I didnt think that would affect the reading of the recovery discs. How can I get my PC restored?

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Check BIOS setup to see if your boot order has the CD first.

3. broknangl13

Ok, I did that, the CD is first, but now there is another problem added to it, it will no longer load up. I get the scan bar accross the bottom of my screen that says windows is loading, then it goes to blue scrren and reads: ***STOP:0x000000A5 <0x00010003,0x81769E30,0x00000002,0x8180CDA0> The ACPI BIOS in this system is not fully compliant with the ACPI specification, please read thr README.TXT for possible workarounds. Im not sure if I accidently made a change to something and didnt realize it or what. I tried going back into setup and loading "last good configuration" that didnt help, it still will not read off the CD. It does the same in safemode. The only thing I am able to do is go into setup. Is this fixable?

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

You can bypass the ACPI installation and install as a standard machine. When the prompt pops up (F6) for loading drivers, press either F5 or F7. F7 will automatically skip the ACPI test and F5 will give you a list of possible HAL's to choose from. Choose the "standard" one.

Pressing either key does not have any immediate effect, so you just have to wait. If you press F5, it may be a few minutes before the options appear.

5. broknangl13

I dont get any promt to load drivers... As far as I know F8 is the only other option and it takes me to safe mode (which also does not load )

6. broknangl13

I tried all of the "F" keys during startup, F8 is the only one that does anything other than the initial startup the requires me to press del to enter setup or F2 to resume.

7. Elvandil

Elvandil

Maybe it is later in the installation process, after you have agreed to the license and all that. There will be a message at the bottom of the screen, just for a few seconds, that says to press F6. It is there in all XP installations unless you have a very unusual CD.

It isn't at the very beginning, but later after F8, I believe.

8. broknangl13

Im not getting that far, its not reading the installation disk, it skips it and goes into "loading windows" but then I get the "STOP" message in the earlier email... My BIOS is set to read the CD Rom first, but it isnt doing it.

9. Elvandil

Elvandil

So you don't get the "Press Any Key To Boot From CD..." message?

If not, then you may need to check the BIOS again, or the CD may be dirty or damaged. Is this an original XP installation CD? Can you boot from any other bootable CD's?

If you have a floppy drive, you can start the installation that way, too.

10. broknangl13

NO, I never get that message, the CD is new, but its a copy of XP I got from the comp store. My floppy doesnt work in this so I cant boot from anything else.

11. Rich-M

Rich-M

By "a copy of XP" are you saying a burned copy or a retail boxed version of XP?

12. broknangl13

It is a burned copy, that the PC store uses to reload XP for thier customers.

13. broknangl13

I finally got it to atleast boot up into Windows 2000 server. I started the install of XP, then got an error mmessage saying a file was missing to install XP... Then I tried to load server up and it went back to that same "STOP" warning again.

14. Elvandil

Elvandil

How was the copy made? Maybe it is not bootable.

What file was missing?

15. broknangl13

I dont know how the copy was burned, a friend of mine works at a PC store where they sell new & used PCs, she gave me a copy to use. The error reads " one of the componants windows needs to continue could not be installed" Error performing inpage operation. In the setup log it reads: SXS.DLL:Syntax.error in manifest or policy file 'd:\l386\asms\10\MSFT\windows\GDlPLUS\GDlPLUS.MAN" on line 4 - Data error (cyclic redundancy check ) As of now I can not boot 2000 server and XP keeps trying to finish installation, but the same error message keeps coming up.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/643341

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice