1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

help to uninstall windows xp home edition service pack 3

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by blobby62, Apr 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. blobby62

blobby62 Thread Starter

i am having problems with windows xp i cant watch any video message it starts then stops i also cant get any updates from microsoft i have tried installing windows xp again but it just stays on blank page with cursor in top corner i want to uninstall all of my windows xp then reinstall it i cant uninstall because cant find windows xp in control panel i am very new to this so i know i am doing something wrong please help

2. Jack Hackett

Jack Hackett

press the ANY key

3. Saga Lout

Saga Lout

You can't uninstall XP while you're using it - you need to find the CD you (hopefully) got when you bought the computer and use that to uninstall it. Happily, though, your problem doesn't warrant that and can probably be fixed quite easily. All you need to do is post some more details about the problem and the system. Go into Control Panel>System and post back the details pf the processor and the memory.

4. oksteve

oksteve

If you want to re install Win XP you will need the original cd that came with the operating system.
    If xp came ready installed you need to contact the vendor.

oops double post

5. blobby62

blobby62 Thread Starter

i have got original cd that is what i am using to try and install it but nothing is happening only blank page i am using kids old laptop to get in touch with you because i have stopped installation been running now for 3 hours i cant get on internet now using my com so i am using this how long does instalation take icant uninstall windows xp on my com so i am trying to install over the one thats in

6. blobby62

blobby62 Thread Starter

hi there i have got computer intel r pentilum r 4cpu 2.60ghz 260ghz 512mb ram i am on kids old laptop at the moment because i cant access internet on my computer i cancelled installation because it was still blank page after 3 hours now i cant get on the internet i have the cd to install windows it just isnt working and i dont know why

7. Old Rich

Old Rich

Are you using a USB keyboard on the opc you are trying to reinstall on? IF so, the installation may not recognize it soe is waiting for a response. Try a ps/2 keyboard and mouse

8. sid_tech

sid_tech

Hi blobby,

Personally I would recommend to fix your computer instead of installing OS again.

What is the format of the video file that you are playing ?
    Which player are you using to play that file?
    Are you getting any error message while windows update ?

If you do not want to fix it then then you can try the following...

When you are in add/remove programs in Win XP on top there is an option to Show updates once you check that option then it should show you the SP3 and you can remove it or the better way would be if you restore your computer to an earlier date when your computer had SP2 in it.

Regards
    Sid

9. Old Rich

Old Rich

Uninstalling SP3 will likley cause more problems than it fixes . . I would not do that!!

10. oksteve

oksteve

Might be too late to fix it if its just hanging.
    I wonder if its not booting from cd, rather from HDD.
    When I re-installed my xp back in the day I had to go into the bios and change the setting from load from hdd to load from cd... just a thought.

And Tech Guys please remember blobby62 may not be that techy and needs step by step
    " i am very new to this so i know i am doing something wrong please help"

11. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    After 3 hours you may as well start over.

Continuing oksteve's narrative, we're not sure if you are proceeding properly. With the XP CD in the optical (CD) drive start, or restart, the computer. If it does not boot from the CD you have to start again, tap whatever key is required to enter the BIOS (Setup) or, sometimes, boot order. Make the optical drive first and the hard drive second. When you are able to boot from the CD you should be able to follow the prompts to format the hard drive and install XP.

12. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I think the following rule applies to your post (bolding is mine):

I'm giving you a 7 day ban.

13. Saga Lout

Saga Lout

If I'm reading this thread rightly, the OP is partway through installing XP on top of his original and it clearly isn't going to complete. XP won't see it that way, of course, and restarts the process every time. Does anyone agree repairing the BootCFG could help here?

14. oksteve

oksteve

Boot cfg sounds right but we don't have such limited info.
    If you can Blobby(love the name) could you tell us exactly what you did, step by step from you, to bring you up to this point ?

We are assuming you just popped the cd in the drive and followed its instruction, is that right ?

Sorry if this it taking longer than you hoped and your probably wanting to hit your machine with something large and pointed but please don't worry too much, excluding me you have the best Tech Guys on this planet working on it.
    The off world Tech Guys are trying to fix the International Space Stations barbeque.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/916422

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice