1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help transferring home video clips from hard drive to dvd

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by n2life, Apr 24, 2018.

Advertisement
  1. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

Get out the Kleenex :cry: .. Here's another Cowboy ..... a few years ago - and less facial hair :D
    I now know the lip sync problem could've been solved with Handbrake .. (constant frame rate)

Last edited: May 1, 2018
  2. n2life

n2life Thread Starter

Oh my , that boy has some talent! WOW!! Is that you as a boy or your son? I'm confused as to who is who...lol I didn't notice a lip sync problem. Is it very minor?

Hey, I tried Handbrake and converted one of the VOB files to a MP4 successfully....Yeah!... but I am wondering why exactly I am doing this? I also copied a VOB file to the flash to see if it would copy and play and it does on my laptop. It is not as tidy because there are so many files as opposed to the one file when converted to MP4., and maybe it won't on a smart tv? I am just trying to get it all figured out.

I am sorry to keep bugging you, but I sure am grateful!

3. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

Not me or son. That's his uncle beside him. Mom is most always front row in the audience.
    My son plays Guitar .. But there's a generation gap in the music preferences :D
    I'm sure my Mom n Dad thought the Beach Boys would be the end of the world :D

Now you're getting into an area that I'm not sure of ... But mp4 is more standard.
    You can also just simply change the file extension of the vob to mpg or mp4.
    But it's better to rip a DVD with handbrake ... then it knows where the breaks are.

I'm wondering if a Data DVD of mp4 files would play in my newer DVD player ???
    I haven't had time to try that ... But if it works, I wouldn't guarantee it would work in all players.

If that works, it would be better if the videos were grouped into larger groups ...
    Same as if in a flash ... easier selections - several groups to select instead of hundreds of videos.
    If you have a flash, Then other media can be created/organized later.

Speaking of memories, I wish I could find more from the church.
    When Alec first got started, the Cowpokes collected spare parts and made him a banjo.
    I wish I could find a video when they gave it to him at Cowboy Church.
    It is now full of signatures, many from famous Blue Grassers and no long obtainable.

There is a story that he was front row at a Blue Grass show (at about 11 years old) and was singing along.
    The famous player looked at Alec and ask him if he knew a song ....
    Alec answered ..."I know all your songs" ...
    He was invited on stage and didn't leave until the show was over.

How many total GB of Videos do you have ???

Last edited: May 1, 2018
  4. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

I just tried a Data DVD of two different video file types in my Sony Blue Ray DVD player.

Each video plays in the high definition from my Sony Cam (1920x1080), higher than a standard video DVD (720x480)

The Chapter Fwd/Bck buttons work and it automatically advances to the next video.

The problem I see would be selecting One of your Thousands of video clips ... (See the attached)

The clips might need renaming, organized as you would want them to play, and/or combined into groups.

DVD flick is a DVD Authoring Program for making DVDs, but you wouldn’t be making a Video DVD.

It might be best to use a Video Editing Program to Combine and Organize the videos into groups.
    I don’t use it but I know someone who likes the free Video pad.

If I was going to burn these to a Data DVD, the first thing I would have done is run my file renaming program on them.

The file rename app I use is not freeware, but here’s some Freeware Suggestions

I’m thinking that burning to a Data DVD would not be that much different than burning to a flash … Except that a flash can hold more GB than a DVD

A standard DVD will hold about 4.7 GB of Data, this may be less than 2 hours for HD videos.
    If your Audience has newer DVD players (BlueRay), A Data DVD might be that way to proceed.

Attached Files:

• 218.jpg
      218.jpg
      File size:
      166.4 KB
      Views:
  5. n2life

n2life Thread Starter

Hello! Thank you for all the info....I'm going to have to read it several times and google some things to fully understand and even then who knows! It is the scenario you mentioned about the fire hose...lol

I agree about having over 2000 short videos on one flash....that could be a challenge to decipher if you are looking for a specific video. I like the idea of grouping them into larger files. My 8mm and mini dvd tapes that I converted to dvd are automatically grouped in 1-2 hour segments based on what was on the tape. Then I made a word doc for each one and listed what was on each dvd. I guess I could do the same with the 2223 clips....group them together in groups of 50-100 or so and them list what was in each grouping.

I have been preoccupied with some other things, so I haven't really figured out which direction I am going in. I am using Handbrake when I get a chance to convert the VOB files to mp4. You said you weren't really familiar with that, so maybe I will put a question out to the forum as to the benefits of converting VOB to mp4. They are much neater, I do know that.

That young man, Alec, is so very talented and how cool to see a teenager singing bluegrass! I love it! My parent's are BIG bluegrass fans and go to Branson every year for a month to take in the month long bluegrass festival at Silver Dollar City. Do they ever play there?

The VOB files play great through my dvd player. I thought I was transferring them to mp4 for the sake of the flash drive...is this right?

Have a great day and thanks again!!!

6. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

Cowboy Band ... Maybe an outing twice a year .. But only locally.
    Link you parents to Kokomo Cowboy ... They can watch anytime ... No copyright restrictions.
    The gang would be glad to have them join us.

Alec can be a different story ... He's all over the place in different bands (mostly Indiana)

Not sure about VOB > MP4 .. I'm thinking (guessing) Mp4 is more universal.
    Computers - Flash drives - DVDs - Video Editors ... etc.

It's beginning to sound like you could use a good video editor that can also make DVDs .. etc .
    I can't find a good free video editor ... I don't think they make one.

Maybe around Late September ... It will start getting cold and be indoor hobby time.
    That's about the time Adobe updates Premiers Elements ...
    and the old version (today's version) goes on sale.

A Video Editor is what you need to construct the Group videos ....
    Then combine the groups with chapter markers, menus .. etc

7. texasbullet

texasbullet

First Name:
    Ramon
    The most easiest program I have known and will likely work on Windows 10 is Pinnacle Studio 12, 14 and 15 Ultimate. You can find it on ebay kind of cheap. This program is no longer supported but it will do your Mpeg movies into DVD. There is also Pinnacle Studio 16 up to 21 but they seem a little bit complicated, but once you get the hang of it, it will be real smooth for you to use. You can choose other programs you like but I am not sure how easy or complicated they may be.

8. n2life

n2life Thread Starter

Thank you! I just saw this post! I appreciate you input!

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1209198

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice